Looking for a great place to work? A place where an award-winning culture means empowerment, teamwork and a passion for what you do? Then think WestJet. It's a great place to land.
WestJet is an organization recognized by its delivery of a remarkable guest experience resulting in us achieving over $3B in sales. In order for our best-in-class airline to be this successful, we require the skills and talents of professionals like you to ensure our ongoing growth. In an industry that is dominated by legacy competitors, you have the opportunity to build your career with an organization driven by progressive strategies, leadership and practices. If you are looking to break out of the status quo by joining a company with a strong growth plan, which consistently ranks as one of the most profitable airlines in the world, and which has a vision to be a top five international airline, WestJet is the place for you!
As WestJet becomes more complex and dynamic, we are seeking a Software Developer reporting into our Digital & Innovation office. This individual can exhibit a high standard of excellence, enjoys challenges, and is results-driven. The incumbent must be highly motivated and demonstrate the ability to work in an agile environment.
In partnership with the Leader e-Commerce Software Development, this developer will work closely with other developers and business representatives to deliver features and enhancements to existing and new web applications. This role will apply industry-standard practices and techniques and actively coach developers in their use and participate in the ongoing improvement and evolution of WestJet’s software development practices and toolset while also providing technical support for WestJet’s mission-critical application portfolio.
The ideal candidate has strong front-end web development skills with some exposure to back-end development. Preference will also be given to candidates with UI/UX design experience.
- Designs and writes robust, extensible, high-quality code that meets business, technical and quality requirements.
- Ensures that code is written individually and in collaboration with other Developers during the development of WestJet’s systems conforms in addition to WestJet’s coding standards and style guidelines.
- Actively promotes the daily use of established software development best practices, methodologies and standards amongst the WestJet software development team.
- Provides technical leadership and coaching to Developers and external consultants working on software projects in WestJet.
- Deliver prompt, efficient production technical support service for WestJet’s portfolio of applications.
- Develop and automate required standard operating procedures to manage common failure scenarios (e.g. scripted/automated rollback, failovers, escalation procedures, etc.)
- Monitor, analyze, and report performance statistics and track root cause and resolution.
- Consult on overall production system architecture.
- Develop test automation frameworks in collaboration with other team members.
- Completed Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience.
- 5+ years of experience in all phases of software development.
- Experience with modern web application concepts/platforms like Vue, React, Web Components, Progressive Web Apps, etc.
- Experience with developing Java based REST services for high volume eCommerce site
- Experience developing and deploying in a cloud environment
- Practical experience with object-oriented software design methodologies, design patterns and best practices.
- Practical understanding of iterative, agile development methods, processes and techniques such as Scrum, XP, Agile RUP.
- Ability to work in a cross-functional DevOps environment.
- Design and develop automated unit and integration tests for front and back end code that define and validate feature/product requirements.
- Strong customer focus coupled with the ability to operate effectively in an energetic, fast-paced business environment.
- Demonstrate sound judgment regarding confidential and sensitive matters.
- Must provide high level of customer service to internal and external guests.
We would like to thank all applicants in advance for their interest in WestJet. We believe in enriching the lives of everyone in WestJet's world and encourage applications from all qualified individuals. Our ongoing efforts toward evolving total diversity will continue to be the way we do business every day. As owners, we believe in celebrating everyone’s unique skills, perspectives and experiences. WestJet is committed to inclusiveness, equity and accessibility. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply.
If you inspire greater creativity and innovation towards reaching new altitudes and meet the qualifications for the position in which you are interested, we welcome you to complete an online application. WestJet is a great place to land - powered by Talent and Growth.
At WestJet, the safety and security of our people and our guests is a core value and at the heart of what we do. As safety and security is a shared responsibility, it is expected that you will utilize safe work practices to ensure your well-being and the safety of others.