As Chief Engineer, you will oversee the safe and efficient operation of all vessel systems, and ensure the safety, maintenance and technical information and systems are in place to enable the V2V Empress to operate to a consistently high standard and meet all relevant regulatory, industry and classification codes.
Required Qualification and Training
- Transport Canada Certificate of Competency as 2nd Class Engineer, Motor Ship
- Valid Transport Canada issued Marine Medical certificate
- Valid Marine Advanced First Aid certificate
- Ability to demonstrate a high level of negotiation and supplier relationship building skills and contractor management.
- Demonstrates flexibility and resilience in dealing with complex issues and implements sound problem-solving methodology.
- Proven ability to lead, direct and deliver results within agreed time frames.
- High Level Understanding of ISM/ISO/Transport Canada legislation, management systems and practices
- Strong computer capability and excellent numeric skills
Essential Competencies and Characteristics
- Display an extremely high level of safety awareness and ability to lead/coach others to high safety performance
- Leading and Supervising - demonstrated capacity to offer clear direction to others, works to empower and motivate staff, provide development opportunities and coaching
- Working with people - takes an interest in and seeks to understand others, adopts a consultative approach to communication, shows empathy and a strong level of self-awareness
- Applying Expertise and Technology - develops, applies and shares knowledge and specialist/technical expertise, understands different organisational departments and functions
- Analyzing - capacity to deal effectively with numerical data, make rational judgement, and draw logical conclusions from available data
- Planning and Organizing - effective time management, capacity to identify and organize resources needed, plan ahead and maintain flexibility in case of shifts in priorities
- Following Instructions and Procedures - adheres to procedures and policies, follows instructions without unduly questioning authority, shows commitment to the organisation and complies with legal/statutory obligations
- Deciding and Initiating Action - demonstrated capacity to establish and build strong positive relationships with a variety of stakeholders and coordinate these to achieve the objectives of the business
- Learning and Researching - capacity to learn and remember new information quickly, consults widely to gather information to support decision-making
- Delivering Results and Meeting Customer Expectations - strong focus on Riverside quality expectations and demonstrates drive to meet project goals
- Coping with Pressures and Setbacks - works productively in a high-pressure environment, maintains emotional control and a positive outlook at work, able to deal with criticism and learn from feedback.
- Ability to work autonomously (self-motivated) and as part of a team
- Have a strong focus on continuous improvement and learning
Duties and responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
- Oversee the safe and efficient operation of all vessel systems.
- Assist the Master and Senior Master with all duties associated with the administration and operation of the vessel.
- Ensure the vessel is maintained as per the planned maintenance system, and work with the relevant vessel crew members to plan and accomplish this.
- Ensure that all safety equipment is maintained in a good operational mode and regularly tested.
- Ensure that the V2V Empress is reliably available to perform the route between Victoria and Vancouver as planned.
- Be available for technical input to emergency or safety critical events
- Continue to develop the planned maintenance system for the V2V Empress to ensure each system on board is attended to in line with the recommendations of equipment manufactures
- Encourage the identification and recording of defects found on board and take a lead role in developing a plan to repair or manage these defects. Develop, recommend and manage a critical spares inventory using a Failure Modes and Effects Analysis
- Assist in the development of company Safety Management System, ensure compliance with policies and procedures, and continuous improvement thereof
- Assist in oversight of the vessels continuing Flag State compliance.
- Take a lead role in coaching vessel crews and shore-based personnel to high safety performance and strong safety culture
- Investigate, justify and manage solutions to technical issues and failures on vessels
- Ensuring vessel maintenance, repairs and modifications comply with Flag State requirements.
- Assist in the removal of hazards and risks on board the vessel
Quality, Health, Safety and Environmental Responsibilities
- Ensure that all personnel are familiar with the QHSE policy and QHSEMS and applying it everyday
- Ensure personnel understand their roles and responsibilities regarding QHSE
- Ensure risk management controls are in place and working effectively and that personnel understand and are applying controlled processes and procedures
- Ensure KPIs (objectives) are developed, monitored and reviewed
- Ensure appropriate resources and leadership is available to support QHSE
- Ensure personnel are trained, competent and certified as appropriate to do their work
- Engaging, educating and coaching personnel in QHSE
- Understanding and ensuring compliance with relevant statutory requirements including WHS and environmental requirements
- Ensure workplaces, vessels and assets maintain current regulatory certification i.e. survey, ERA
- Ensuring we understand and meet or exceed our customers' expectations
- Develop a workplace culture that results in positive safety performance
- Promote a focus on learning and continuous improvement
- Take reasonable care of, and cooperate with, actions taken to protect the health and safety of both themselves and others
- Ensure all accidents, incidents, near misses and hazards are reported as soon as is practicable
- Do whatever is reasonably practical to ensure that both the workplace and the work itself are safe
- Ensure that all personnel are always 'Fit for Work'
V2V Vacations is supportive of workforce diversity and encourages applications from qualified individuals. Applicants must have a legal work permit for Canada.
Job Types: Part-time, Contract