Performs complex (journey-level) accounting work. Maintains general ledger and prepares financial reports; researches, prepares, analyzes and interprets financial data; and supports audit activities. Works under moderate supervision, with moderate latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgement.
- Completes monthly bank reconciliations for all bank accounts.
- Prepares payroll related reports and journal entries, quarterly tax returns and reconciliations.
- Prepares monthly customer invoicing, reconciling to contracts, revenue accruals and progress reporting.
- Prepares monthly reports, including those that compare budgeted revenues and expenses to actual.
- Provides technical support, guidance, research and coordination to all departments on contract-related issues, requests for proposals, and statutory, regulatory, and agency requirements.
- Prepares, examines, and analyzes accounting records, financial statements, and other financial reports to assess accuracy, completeness, and conformance to reporting and procedural standards.
- Complies requests made by the external auditors for information needed to complete the audit.
- Completes annual inventory of computer equipment, furniture and other equipment (both depreciable and non-depreciable items).
- Researches and ensures reporting and compliance with federal and state regulations.
- May analyze costs and variances, and report the results to management staff of the various departments.
- May prepare schedules and reconciliations for financial statement accounts including taxes.
- May process month-end and year-end close.
- Participates in special projects and performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in accounting or finance
o Additional experience in accounting or other related areas may be substituted for Bachelor’s degree on a year per year basis. (Experience requirements may be satisfied by full-time experience or the prorated part-time equivalent.)
- Three (3) years accounting
o Education towards a Master’s Degree in accounting or finance or a Master’s Degree in accounting or finance may be substituted for experience on a year per year basis. (Education requirements may be satisfied by full-time education or the prorated part-time equivalent.)
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Thorough knowledge of
- Generally accepted accounting principles, procedures and terminology
- Auditing and investigative methods, practices and procedures
- Bookkeeping practices and procedures
- Revenue deposit procedures
- Applicable computer operating systems and relevant applications
- Applicable laws, rules and regulations
Considerable knowledge of
- Applicable records maintenance procedures
- Inventory control procedures
- Purchasing methods and procedures
- Developing, implementing and monitoring budgets and fund accounting
- Cost accounting principles and procedures
Proficient skill in
- The use of basic mathematical fundamentals
- Maintaining effective working relationships with individuals and groups
- Analyzing and organizing technical data
- Preparing and maintaining records, files and reports
- Interpreting applicable information
- The use of personal computers and applicable programs, applications and systems
Some skill in
- Performing statistical analysis
- Researching, analyzing and interpreting policies and state and federal laws and regulations
- The responsibilities associated with administrative practices and procedures to include writing, editing and report writing techniques, record keeping and records management
- Multitask and meet deadlines
- Exercise logic and reasoning to define problems, establish facts and draw valid conclusions
- Make decisions that support business objectives and goals
- Identify and resolve problems or refer issues appropriately
- Communicate effectively verbally and in writing
- Adapt to the needs of internal and external customers
- Show integrity and ethical behavior; respect confidentiality, business ethics and organizational standards
- Assure compliance with regulatory, contractual and accreditation entries
Requires working in an office/cubicle environment; sitting, standing, walking, bending, twisting and/or reaching. Requires repetitive movement; ability to lift, carry or move up to 25 lbs. when transporting work equipment or materials. May require ability to operate a motor vehicle; the ability to travel by motor vehicle and commercial airline. May require overnight travel.