We are looking for a Mechanical Engineer-in-Training!
HIDI’s corporate reputation for providing high quality services with integrity has earned us the trust of our clients, and our people. When you join us, you will find an environment where open dialogue and innovative thinking are highly encouraged. We believe that challenging you with a diversity of assignments ensures that you can develop your skills and grow rapidly.
We start by Engaging You in our organization! If you are ready for a career with a dynamic organization, in an environment that fosters professional development and career advancement, you’re ready for us!
The Mechanical Engineer in Training is responsible to assist an Engineer in the design of mechanical systems including HVAC, plumbing, drainage and fire protection.
- Work to develop strong, ongoing relationships with clients, building operators, contractors and other members of the Design Team
- Lead by example, following proper procedures.
- Participate in training courses and show initiative for professional development.
- Provide insightful and enthusiastic assistance to other staff.
- Schedule workload appropriately, maximizing productive time.
- Work enthusiastically with the Group to accomplish common objectives.
- Attend client design meeting.
- Attend coordination meetings.
- Check drawings for quality control using checklist.
- Comply with company Design Standards and CAD Standards.
- Coordinate work with other disciplines including Electrical, Architectural and Structural.
- Create working drawings with AutoCAD. Develop mechanical system schematics and riser diagrams.
- Engineer systems in accordance with OBC, NFPA, ASHRAE and/or other relevant Codes and Standards.
- Exploit sustainable and energy efficient opportunities as appropriate. Identify and coordinate required site services.
- Liaise with local utilities, municipalities and authorities as required.
- Maintain design files in an organized and up-to-date fashion in accordance with company Project Management Standards.
- Monitor drawing production.
- Perform energy simulations using energy modelling software. Perform heat gain/loss calculations.
- Perform site audits to confirm existing conditions. Prepare “Design Brief”.
- Prepare block layouts and assist with space planning. Prepare CCN and SI as required.
- Prepare control schematics, point lists and sequences of operation.
- Prepare Engineering Reports as required.
- Prepare equipment schedules for fans, pumps, coils, etc.
- Produce detailed specifications using Master Specification.
- Provide periodic site reviews and attend site meetings as required during construction.
- Report to Group Leader any project related quality, speed or scheduling issue.
- Review and comment on shop drawing submittals. Size and select equipment including fans, pumps, boilers, chillers, heat exchangers, coils, expansion tanks, etc
Skills & Qualifications
- Engineering Degree
- Working knowledge of AutoCAD
- Knowledge of REVIT will be preferred and considered an asset
- Excellent time management and organizational skills
- Knowledge of building services is an asset
- Proficient with Microsoft Office and Engineering programs
- Strong interpersonal communication skills
- Strong written communication skills
- Superior problem-solving and analytical skills