Teach For Canada is recruiting teachers for full-time classroom positions in First Nations in northern Ontario and Manitoba. Successful candidates will start teaching in September 2020.
Why we exist:
Education in Canada is a success story, but high overall quality masks deep inequality. The twin challenges of teacher supply and turnover compound historical injustice and systemic inequities to produce an education gap between First Nations and non-First Nations communities.
Teach for Canada is a non-profit organization that works with northern communities to recruit, prepare, and support committed teachers who will improve student outcomes in the North.
- Certified or certification-eligible to teach in a Canadian province or territory
- Legal working status in Canada for the minimum two-year teaching commitment
- Available to attend the Summer Enrichment Program for 2-3 weeks in July/August (expenses covered)
- Able to relocate and teach full-time in a rural First Nations community
Who we look for:
- You have a strong, flexible teaching practice and are inclusive of all students. You may work with students who are below grade level or have to teach outside of your subject specialization. Our Teacher Development team will support you by providing 2 years of classroom support.
- You are resilient and have established self-care strategies to overcome challenges. You can sometimes feel isolated and lonely, especially when trying to explain life in the community to family and friends. We will support you with a community of like-minded peers and an alumni network of mentors.
- You want to work collaboratively with community members to incorporate local knowledge. It can be difficult to integrate First Nation cultures and languages, especially if it is new to you. Our Summer Enrichment Program will support you through workshops on Indigenous histories, cultures, and locally-responsive teaching approaches.
As an organization that works with Indigenous communities, we value Indigenous perspectives in our program and encourage Indigenous candidates to apply.
2020 Selection Process:
Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis and you will hear back within 2 weeks of submission. The deadline to apply for this round of selection is April 29th, 2020.
- Introductory Interviews: select dates in April 2020
- Fit Interviews: May 8-10
- Reference Checks: May 11-20
- Final selection: May 21
First Nations community partners will begin extending offers to selected teachers in June 2020.
Suggested Next Steps:
- Email a Teacher Recruitment Manager at email@example.com with questions.
- Register for an online or in-person learning event at https://teachforcanada.ca/en/get-involved/events/
- Learn more and apply online now at https://teachforcanada.ca/en/teachers/apply-now/