The Senior Engineer, Structures is responsible for executing structural engineering assignments on new construction and repair projects at Vancouver Shipyards. Under the direction of the Manager, Naval Architecture; the Senior Engineer, Structures participates in all phases of new construction design projects including: requirements decomposition, design preparations, supporting analysis, material selection and specification, engineering execution, and engineering close-out activities.
This role is also responsible for liaison with internal and external partner design teams to ensure that the overall ship design is produced in accordance with the current equipment information and the production design standards and procedures as assigned by the Manager, Naval Architecture.The Senior Engineer, Structures reports to the Manager, Naval Architecture.
The position may have junior engineering or designer direct reports and/or subcontracted engineering and designer direct reports.
- Provides engineering and design expertise in assigned areas of Structural Engineering by preparing and reviewing design and calculation packages to ensure contract design requirements are met.
- Supports the Manager, Naval Architecture by providing guidance and oversight to other junior engineers, designer or subcontractors in the areas of structural engineering and design.
- Develops and/or reviews design documents for fisheries, icebreaking and naval replenishment vessels in order to achieve customer, Classification Society and regulatory approval.
- Performs trade studies both formal and informal to determine the most cost effective solutions to engineering problems and meet material budgets for systems assigned.Identifies opportunities to reduce material costs below budget.
- Develops material specifications and bills of material in accordance with Seaspan material strategies and customer requirements.
- Represents the company to industry to develop understanding of Seaspan’s involvement in FFR and continue to build our reputation.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Naval Architecture or Structural Engineering is required
- 6 or more years post-secondary experience working in Naval Architecture or Structural Engineering is necessary
- Previous shipyard experience is highly desired; marine industry experience is preferred.
- Experience working with a diverse integrated project team is considered an asset.
- Professional Engineering designation in the Province of British Columbia is a definite asset.
Skills, Knowledge and Required Competencies
- Knowledge of marine structural design, including detailed knowledge of structural connections and production best practices.
- Knowledge of the following ship types is considered a strong asset: research vessels, fishing vessels, icebreakers, naval auxiliary vessels.
- Knowledge of noise predictions and attenuation best practices
- Knowledge of icebreaker structures.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently to develop solutions to complex technical problems
- Above average analytical skills to gather and analyze/synthesise data, confirming its accuracy and adequacy as an integral part of the collective analysis/synthesis process
- Strong technical writing skills including the ability to produce and present clear, detailed written technical specifications, procedures, and reports
- Knowledge of MRP, purchasing and management systems a plus.
- Working knowledge of ShipConstructor and ACAD software, document control systems and databases desired
- Good organizational skills
- Above average communication skills including written, verbal, listening and presentation are required
- Availability and willingness to travel to such locations and with such frequency as the employer determines is necessary or desirable to meet its business needs.
- Committed to a high standard of safety and able to comply with all safety laws and all of the employer's safety policies and rules
- Exercise sound judgments and make decisions in a manner consistent with the essential job functions.
- PC proficiency required.Working knowledge of basic Microsoft Office 2010 software suite (Excel, Outlook, Word, PowerPoint)