Queen Margaret's School is accepting applications for an English Language Learner (ELL) Teacher to join our faculty, beginning August 26, 2019. This is anticipated to be a 1.0 FTE position; however, the School reserves the right to confirm FTE allocation after class sizes have been finalized.
To apply online, go to http://www.qms.bc.ca/discover-qms/careers/
The ELL Teacher is responsible for assessing and providing instructional support to students who are developing their academic and social English language proficiency. The successful candidate will also serve as a resource to the school for integrating relevant ELL language strategies across the curriculum. They will collaborate with teacher colleagues, parents, specialists, and other learning team members to help maximize student-learning experiences.
The candidate must possess or be eligible for Teacher Certification through the BC Ministry of Education Teacher Regulation Branch.
Teachers interested in joining Queen Margaret's School community must embrace the ethos of an independent school education, develop positive relationships with all community members, and contribute to a collaborative learning environment. Dedicated time for collaborating with a team to design and implement cross-curricular units of study through the year is provided.
Applications must include proof of teacher certification and degrees obtained.
- Serve as a resource to classroom teachers to help ELL students achieve academically in the classroom
- Collaborate with classroom teachers to ensure consistency in instruction and facilitate problem-solving in English language learning
- Use relevant strategies to increase English proficiency for students whose primary language is other than English through direct instruction in dedicated classes
- Create individual language goals for students, share with teacher colleagues and parents, and monitor progress of each student, updating goals as needed
- Determine the language needs of registered students whose primary language is other than English and recommend appropriate language support
- In collaboration with the School's Admissions Department, administer language screening assessments for potential students
- Maintain accurate student records and prepare reports on students receiving language support twice annually
- Advocate for the needs of ELL students and communicate progress of ELL students to classroom teachers and families
- Use a variety of assessment strategies to measure student progress
- Bring energy, enthusiasm, and a love of learning to the classroom
- Attend meetings and school events as required
- Lead co-curricular assignments with enthusiasm
- Model the core values of the school
- Collaborate with peers to support a student-centered learning environment
- Take an active part in all professional development activities, including staff meetings
The following are requirements for this position:
- Graduate of a recognized B.Ed. program
- Experience teaching English Language Learners
- Strong organizational and communication skills with a proven ability to communicate and develop relationships with a wide array of stakeholders (students, parents, teacher colleagues, community members, etc.
- Commitment to continuous professional growth and professional learning
- Proven ability to motivate students through meaningful curriculum and inquiry-driven learning
- Demonstrated ability to develop strong learning relationships through the provision of a safe and trusting learning environment
- Experience using project-based learning approaches and commitment to regularly engage in experiential learning opportunities with students
- Familiarity with relevant assessment strategies to provide continual feedback
- Demonstrated ability to effectively differentiate and be responsive to student needs
- Experience, sensitivity and awareness of working within a multicultural environment
- Willingness to embrace the ethos of an independent school and make a commitment to the extensive co-curricular life of an independent school
Preferences will be given to candidates who also have the following skills and qualifications:
- Training and/or Certification in ELL instruction
- Standard First Aid certification or above