We are a group of visionaries who are here to disrupt the consumer lending industry in Canada by making access to credit easier and more comfortable. We are looking for an Assistant Manager - Underwriting who embodies our chief values: Customer Focused, Humanity, Integrity, Excellence, Fun.
Who We are:
Named by CB Insights in 2017 as one of 38 companies in the world helping the underbanked, Progressa is Canada's fastest growing financial technology lender focused on changing the way pay cheque to pay cheque Canadians access and build credit. Since 2013, our mission has been to build a socially responsible consumer finance company that encourages borrowing for the right reasons that Canadians can be proud of. Our enterprise solutions suite, driven by the 4th Generation Progressa Score™, is built for collection agencies, enterprise, and point of sale finance.
We are Canada's only 'Direct-Pay'? lender focused solely on non-prime and near-prime consumers. By paying bills directly for our customers, we provide peace of mind and an avenue to begin to reduce their debt load and rebuild their credit rather than creating additional financial strain.
What We Offer:
- Comprehensive health benefits
- Advancement opportunities
- Office snacks or monthly lunches
- Bonus and incentive programs
- Competitive wages
- Charity team building events
- Monthly social events
- Welcome swag kit
- Access to exclusive discounts
Reporting directly to the Senior Underwriting Manager, the Assistant Manager will be responsible for managing a team of Underwriters, Credit Analysts and Lending Administrators, while assessing loan applications and making recommendations for responsible lending on both new and existing applications.
- Work alongside the Underwriting Manager to:
- Ensure staff is well equipped with knowledge, training, experience, tools and technology needed to achieve the required business results
- Provide leadership, coaching and mentoring to the team, developing their competencies and positioning them for success
- Monitor existing staff performance daily to ensure adherence to policies, practices and procedures – identifying gaps and necessary actions.
- Review loan applications for higher approval amounts
- Respond to agent inquiries and escalated customer calls in a timely manner
- Assess loan applications for data integrity and potential fraud within risk guidelines
- Conduct loan interviews with loan applicants over the phone (as required)
- Assess bank statements, credit reports and debt-to-income ratios based on internal guidelines to assist with adjudication of loan applications
- Communicate financing decisions to loan applicants and third party referrals
- Quality check all information prior to creating loan agreement
- Assess the need for loan protection insurance products as required
- Assign appropriate interest rates to each category of loan
- Underwrite refinancing opportunities for existing loan customers
- Other related duties as required or assigned
Required experience, knowledge and skills:
- 7 Years of Call Center Management experience
- 5 years Loan Underwriting Experience (non-prime experience preferred)
- Experience managing 20 or more agents
- Should have proven plans and procedures related with Risk Analysis & Management
- Excellent people management skills with the ability to deal with diverse behaviors
- Negotiation, influencing and selling skills.
- Advanced literacy, numeracy skills
- Proficiency in Excel, MS word and powerpoint.
- High attention to detail
- Excellent customer service skills and phone manner
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written
- Well-developed organizational and time management skills
- Aptitude for multi-tasking
- Ability to interpret, adapt to and apply guidelines and procedures
- University Degree or equivalent post secondary in Business
- Open availability to work varying shifts between 8 am to 9 pm Monday to Friday, and 9 am to 5 pm on Saturdays (as required)
As a fintech company, Progressa is responsible for highly sensitive information. Please note that any job offer will be conditional upon the completion of a satisfactory background check including, but not limited to, criminal, credit and employment reference checks.
Progressa welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.