Pacific Blue Cross has been British Columbia's leading benefits provider for 75 years. We are an independent, not-for-profit society with strong roots in BC’s health care system. Together with our subsidiary BC Life, we provide health, dental, life, disability and travel coverage to 1 in 3 British Columbians through employee group plans and individual plans.
We are fueled by a commitment to keep health care sustainable for all British Columbians. Through our Pacific Blue Cross Health Foundation, we also provide funding to community organizations with a focus on alleviating mental illness and chronic disease. We're interested in finding people who want to make a difference and who will take advantage of every opportunity to build a career with us.
At Pacific Blue Cross, you get the whole package - a rewarding career and interesting work, with an organization that truly values its employees and its members. With an emphasis on work-life balance, we offer an attractive compensation and benefit package, and an onsite gym and cafeteria.
If you are committed to improving the health and well-being of British Columbians, we are currently recruiting a permanent full-time Test Analyst to join our Quality Assurance team. This role will be located at our head office in Burnaby, BC.
Information Technology Systems Testing
Acts as Test Lead on a variety of formal applications and/or technical systems design projects to identify, organize and coordinate the execution of the system testing phase by:
- consulting with the Project Manager, developers, analysts, architects and user representatives to define and understand business requirements and software functionality, and to determine the scope of testing;
- reviewing and analyzing existing systems, design and program specifications, user procedures and flow diagrams and defining overall test approach, strategy, scope, test entry and exit criteria, and related metrics consistent with project mandate;
- creating, designing, documenting and executing manual and/or automated test plans and scripts to validate system functionality within a test environment;
- preparing time, resource allocation and scheduling estimates for Project Manager and user approval;
- creating, selecting and loading test data;
- organizing test teams including internal IT testing staff and internal users by training testers in required testing routines, assigning work, monitoring results, providing mentoring, technical support and direction during the testing phase to address challenges encountered in executing test plans and ensuring results are documented in accordance with project standards;
- meeting regularly with testing team members to facilitate open communication and promote effective working relationships;
- providing input into the build acceptance throughout the project life cycle;
- identifying unexpected outcomes during testing by verifying system outputs and consulting with developers and other technical team members on system corrections and potential improvements to system or program design;
- monitoring overall test approach execution to track progress in relation to expected outcomes and providing regular status and metrics reports to the Project Manager throughout the project life cycle;
- overseeing strict adherence to internal controls throughout testing to maintain established audit trails;
- providing input into the go/no go decision for production promotions during project conclusion and sign-off
Provides technical testing services for production fixes and system enhancements to ensure system functionality is consistent with defined business requirements and produces expected results by:
- reviewing system design documentation to identify the nature and scope of proposed fixes or enhancements the type of data required for testing, and potential interactions with interdependent system functions where regression testing may be required;
- pursuing additional information where documentation is incomplete, vague or conflicting to ensure full understanding of system functionality;
- creating, compiling and documenting proposed test plans and test scripts to validate system functionality within a test environment;
- preparing time and cost estimates for executing test plans;
- consulting with developers and other technical team members and users onsite and offsite in the creation and selection of test data designed to validate all areas of system operation particularly in the area of interfacing, interdependent and/or legacy systems using shared data sources;
- loading data into test environments;
- editing test scripts during test execution where results differing from the predicted test outcomes occur and conducting further investigation to determine the potential source of the testing variance;
- reviewing initial testing assumptions to identify if system changes or functional requirement changes have occurred since original test plan design and updating test plans and scripts as required;
- identifying pass/fail status, documenting test results including reconstruction of test failures, referring failure history to developers for review and making recommendations concerning the outcome of production deficit failures to user groups as appropriate
Researches new test tools and upgrades to determine their applicability to PBC's testing environment
Maintains a resource library of test plans and scripts for potential future application to similar or recurring test applications.
General Team and Department Support
- As a senior member of the testing team, provides input into the creation and maintenance of department testing standards, guidelines and procedures and may create these upon request. On a regular basis, exchanges ideas with department team members on test plan development, procedural enhancements and overall department operation.
- Software testing courses equivalent to:
International Software Testing Qualifications Board
ISTQB Advanced Test Analyst Level
ISTQB Advanced Test Manager
- Basic Supervision
- Business Communications
- Basic Excel, Basic Word
- Minimum 4 years previous related experience in a test analyst position in a medium to large sized organization working on medium to large scale projects.
- Experience writing test plans, test cases and test strategies
- Basic SQL knowledge would be an asset
- Previous work experience in application security administration would also be a definite asset