Job title: Corporate Development Associate, M&A (Business Development)
Location: Toronto, Ontario
WHO WE ARE AND WHY WORK WITH US?
Origin House is a North American cannabis consumer product company currently focused on building a leading distribution business in California, the world's largest regulated cannabis market. By building a world-class logistics platform and supporting contract manufacturing assets, the Company intends to support the growth of new and established cannabis brands.
Working at Origin House provides a unique opportunity to help shape the emerging and exciting cannabis industry. As more jurisdictions across North America move towards complete cannabis legalization, entrepreneurs and investors alike are looking for opportunities to support and build companies in the cannabis space. Origin House offers the opportunity to be at the forefront of innovation within this industry, and to get meaningfully involved at a relatively early-stage. To find out more, visit us at http://originhouse.com/
ASSOCIATE, M&A (Business Development)
The M&A team is responsible for the planning and execution of commercial transaction to meet Origin House's strategic objectives. The team also provides financial and strategic stewardship for all investment, acquisition, and growth efforts.
As a business development associate you will be asked to identify, develop, and participate in various commercial transactions primarily focused on originate new investment, acquisition, and out-licensing opportunities.
The successful candidate will join the Corporate Development team in Toronto and "own" the deal pipeline while being a key contributor to overall corporate strategy and development.
- Initiate and leverage an active dialog with owner/executive contacts at target companies identified as attractive acquisition candidates and/or influential referral sources.
- Build and leverage a network of referral sources within the cannabis industry including private equity firms, commercial bankers, attorneys, and deal brokers.
- Attend industry conferences and events to build awareness of Origin House's presence and capabilities
- Transaction Screening and Structuring
- Review diligence materials to identify attractive investment opportunities worthy of further pursuit.
- Facilitate direct follow-up with, and active feedback to acquisition candidates, deal broker, or referral source.
- Negotiate Confidentiality Agreements with acquisition candidates leading to receipt of basic evaluation material.
- Formulate a proposed investment structure and Value Creation Hypothesis consistent with the Origin House's Investment Focus, Strategy, and Values for action by the Investment Committee.
- After acceptance of the Indication of Interest proposal, assist in preparation and coordination of the agenda for management meeting with the acquisition candidate and candidate's advisors to assure that fundamental deal points, questions, and information requests are addressed at the earliest possible stage; and
- Assist in the preparation and development of business models, risk identification, industry research, valuation assessment, and development of investment narrative for formal presentation to the Investment Committee requesting Contingent Investment Approval.
- Investment Approval, Origination, and Closing.
This position is for you if you...
- Can act as a team leader in the diligence, documentation, and negotiation of deal terms.
- Can train, mentor and develop junior investment team members.
- Have relevant experience in M&A, Corporate Development, Investment Banking, Private Equity, or closely related financial experience.
- Have experience in negotiating and completing complex M&A, investment, partnership and / or JV transactions.
- Have the ability to formulate informed positions and influence internal and external stakeholders.
- Have the ability to assume leadership positions, interact with executive management, and work with a variety of clients & stakeholders.
- Bachelor's degree. MBA strongly preferred.
- At least 2 years experience within Cannabis or investment related sector.
- Previous experience working in consulting, investment banking, private equity, M&A, Corporate Development, is strongly preferred.
- Highly proficient in MS Office applications (Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook).
- Familiarity with business assessment tools (feasibility studies, business cases, cost/benefit analysis, and project sizing/costing) and transaction structures.
- Highly organized with excellent attention to detail, quality of work, and communication skills.
We thank all applicants for their interest in joining our team, however only those whose skills and qualifications closely match the requirements of this position will be contacted.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from headhunters, recruitment agencies or fee-based recruitment services at this time.
Origin House is an equal opportunity employer and committed to delivering accessibility for all persons with disabilities.
Job Type: Full-time
Job Type: Full-time