NACUBO is committed to diversity because it enriches and strengthens how we advance our mission, just as it does for institutions of higher education. We are fully focused on equality and believe deeply in diversity of race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, national origin and all the other fascinating characteristics that make us different. Our goal is to be the place where a diverse mix of talented people want to come, to stay and do their best work.
Creativity and cross-team collaboration drive NACUBO’s achievements and contribute to individual success. All staff members are encouraged to think creatively about how they and NACUBO can address mission, member needs, and challenges that will inevitably arise from time to time. They are also encouraged to develop and nurture strong partnerships throughout the association. These partnerships help individuals, teams, and the association accomplish the activities, goals and strategies of the organization and of individual positions.
Imagination, innovation, and curiosity are welcome, and all require some risk taking. NACUBO encourages staff to engage in bold thinking, to put forward new ideas and proposals, and to openly debate the risks – upside and downside – associated with new ideas.
Each member of the NACUBO staff is responsible for creating and sustaining esprit de corps across the organization.
To accomplish all of this, staff will need strong communication and strategic thinking skills. NACUBO is committed to nurturing these skills in all staff members.
The broad functions of the Accounting Clerk consist of National Association of College and University Business Officers (NACUBO) and its regional associations. The accounting clerk is responsible for processing cash receipts for all companies from all sources, such as lock box receipts, regular deposit receipts, and internal / external credit card receipts, etc. This position coordinates the processing, follow-up, and collections of all transactions that generate accounts receivable within books of account. The Accounting Clerk is also responsible for all aspects of accounts payable through the Anybill system. Responsibilities include reviewing invoices from vendors or staff for completion and subsequent payment.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. Process all cash receipts from the lock box, direct receipts, and internal and web credit card orders for registrations, membership dues, publication sales, advertising services, and other revenue generating sources through the netFORUM membership database system. Process refunds as they occur. Clear refunds out of netFORUM on a weekly basis. Review and edit the output and reconcile all reports.
2. Download/save all lockbox check copies on a weekly basis.
3. Review and close all transactions in netFORUM on a weekly basis. Maintain and ensure the integration of financial transactions in netFORUM.
4. Work with IT and membership staff to resolve netFORUM issues. Maintain general ledger accounts and product codes in netFORUM.
5. Act as the ‘Gatekeeper’ for the Anybill accounts payable system. Route incoming invoices to the appropriate director. Also, review invoices, expense reports, and check requests for completion through the Anybill accounts payable system on a weekly basis. Review documents for accuracy and proper supporting documentation. Ensure proper authorization for all invoices. Perform audit of expense reports and verify compliance with the travel guidelines policy.
6. Responsible for processing 1099s and ensuring its accuracy, timely completion, and compliance per the IRS guidelines.
7. Interact with vendors and staff to research and respond to inquiries and resolve discrepancies. Use knowledge of the chart of accounts to ensure proper accounting of funds. Establish and maintain up-to-date vendor list and files, including remittance addresses, in both Solomon and Anybill databases.
8. Responsible for preparing invoices when assigned.
9. Participate in the monthly and year-end closing of accounting records. Assist in the preparation of various schedules on Excel when needed.
10. Perform other duties as assigned.
1. Superb attention to detail.
2. Customer/Member Focus.
3. Results oriented.
4. Team Player.
This position works in a professional office environment. This position routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, and copiers. This position works in a climate-controlled environment but internal office temperatures may fluctuate.
1. Sedentary work: Exerting up to 10 pounds occasionally.
2. To perform the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee may frequently be required to stand, walk, use hands and fingers to type, handle or feel, and reach with arms and hands.
3. The accounting clerk is required to sit for long periods of time, mostly at a computer, keyboard, and phone.
4. Normal corrective vision and the ability to adjust focus are required.
5. Able to effectively communicate face-to-face.
6. Able to receive detailed information through oral communication.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time regular position. Typical days and hours of work are Monday through Friday 8:45 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. There may be occasional evening and weekend work as job duties or projects require it.
Some travel may be required.
1. Associate’s degree in related field (i.e., accounting, business).
2. Association accounting experience preferred, with computerized accounting systems and spreadsheets. Working knowledge of Excel, netFORUM membership database and Solomon accounting system is highly desired. Experience with eShow is a plus.
3. Accounting experience working with multiple company’s chart of accounts simultaneously.
4. Two to four years of experience in accounting operations, with responsibility for payment processing, accounts receivable and collection activities. Must be experienced in the collection of outstanding revenues.
5. Working knowledge of accounts payable processing including invoice review and general ledger coding and form 1099. Experience with Anybill is a plus.
6. Must possess good written communication, organizational, and analytical skills, including accuracy, attention to detail, and the ability to multitask effectively.
7. Excellent attention to detail and the ability to maintain a high level of accuracy while processing large volumes of data.
8. Excellent time management skills.
9. Must be versatile and flexible and capable of adapting quickly to current needs and future automation procedural changes associated with the processing of accounts receivable and accounts payable for NACUBO and its regional associations.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Please note this position description does not cover, contain or list a full comprehensive listing of duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee in this role. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.