Reporting to the Electrical Engineering Manager (EEM), and generally supporting the needs of the Company, the Firmware Engineer will participate in a broad spectrum of projects supporting the Engineering and Manufacturing teams as well as occasional tech support for field operations. The focus will mainly be on the embedded firmware development, and to a lesser degree, PC software applications.
Qualifications - Must have skills:
- 5+ years of experience with Embedded Firmware Development using c
- Experience with Microchip and Cortex ideally
- Expert level of understanding of CAN/SPI/I2C/RS232/RS485 protocols require with knowledge of electronic hardware design
- Skilled in usage of test equipment; oscilloscopes, power supplies, signal generators, etc.
- Exceptional troubleshooting, reverse-engineering and analytical ability; knows how to perform surgery on complex code.
- High level of self-drive and initiative, proactive learner, strong work ethic, goal-focused and attentive to detail
- Ideally able to program applications using c# .net in a desktop (ideally WPF or winforms) environment.
- Excellent English speaking and written communication ability; strong documentation skills for technical artifacts
- Ideally able to program applications using c# .net in a desktop (ideally WPF or winforms) environment. This requirement is repeated here as we will consider embedded developers without experience in c# but it is strongly preferred for someone to also have c#.
- Accredited Bachelor's Degree or higher in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, or Computing Science
- Familiarity with Schematic Design and PCB layout is an asset.
- Member of APEGA in good standing or eligible for licensing in Alberta (if applicable)
- Experience with version control tools, preferably SVN
- Strong aptitude for mathematics and algorithms; working knowledge of DSP, LabView and Matlab are desirable
- Process and quality mind-set, with an appreciation of design best practices
- Working knowledge of oilfield drilling operations is desirable
- Familiarity with Internet protocols is desirable
Specific Duties: (not all-inclusive)
- Development of new and sustaining of existing Measure While Drilling (MWD) electronic firmware and software artifacts
- Works as a member of the Electrical Engineering group to assure reliability, cost-effectiveness, and safety of MWD technologies
- Develops firmware design artifacts, supplemental technical documentation, design, specification, testing, and procedural documentation as needed
- Works in close collaboration with electrical engineers, technicians and MWD technology development group to develop and optimize technology
- Authoring internal (technical) and external (ECN updates) documentation
- Provides operational and manufacturing support to responsible key stakeholders as required and conveys feedback for the purpose of sustaining and development effort
- Maintains complete and comprehensive records of daily activities and reports to the EEM on a weekly basis
- Conducts and attends peer firmware, software, and hardware design reviews; troubleshoots and triages as requires
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- embedded firmware development: 5 years (Required)
- hardware protocols (CAN/SPI/I2C/RS232/RS485): 5 years (Required)
- application development using c# .net: 2 years (Preferred)
- Microchip and Cortex: 2 years (Preferred)
- Bachelor's Degree (Preferred)