Are you passionate about corporate communications and excited about informing and engaging Associates for a well-known consumer brand? Macy’s is currently seeking a Media Relations Manager, who will work closely with the South regional media team and Macy’s Corporate Communications team in developing the regional press strategy, providing support for showcasing Macy’s as a fashion authority and community leader, maximizing events, corporate giving programs, brand launches and local community initiatives– all with a shared passion for making life shine brighter for our customers.
The ideal candidate will be energetic, highly motivated and collaborative, conscientious and detail-oriented – a self-starter who takes initiative in developing new ideas and solving problems.
This role will join a team of existing and new communications talent all working together to build a strong corporate communications function at Macy’s. This position is based in Chicago and reports to the Director of Media Relations, Macy’s South Region. Perform other duties as assigned.
- Media Relations - Develop and execute major consumer media relations efforts to support the company’s reputation as the premier destination for fashion and home, as well as the icon of major store events, the home of popular/desirable brands, and a partner to our communities for volunteerism and charitable support, including:
• Developing media relations strategies that will drive coverage and sales
• Writing press materials (PR plans, press releases, media alerts, key messages/talking points, etc.)
• Creating strong relationships with media outlets – print, online, broadcast – in respective media markets located in states such as Florida, Tennessee, North and South Carolina, Virginia and Puerto Rico
• Pitching story ideas to promote Macy’s brand to media in regional markets
• Identifying and media training local executives to serve as spokespersons
• Coordinating media interviews, segments, placements
• Planning/executing media events
• Creating strong relationships with internal regional, district and store leadership, identifying local opportunities to publicize in respective markets
• Recapping media results – weekly, monthly and by project
• Representing the national media relations team in cross-functional and regional meetings
• Facilitating and supporting the national media relations teams
• Serving as communication expert in the respective regional markets and acting as point person for Corporate Communications and the regional leadership team
• Website Content Management (pressroom) Manage content on Macy’s online pressroom to ensure information is current
- Regular, dependable attendance & punctuality
- BA/BS in communications-related field, with 5-7 years of experience in public relations, media relations, communications or related area.
- Background in retail or other consumer business; general knowledge of the department store business a plus
- Retail experience is a plus, but not a must
- Spanish: highly proficient (fluent) in both spoken and written Spanish.
- Effective command of language and writing (communications plans, press materials, executive messaging/presentations, etc.)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to read, write, and interpret instructional documents such as reports and procedure manuals.
- Must have above average mathematical skills, including the ability to compute rates, ratios, and percentages, and the ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference.
- Must be able to work independently with minimal supervision.
- This position involves regular walking, standing, sitting for extended periods of time, hearing, and talking.
- May occasionally involve stooping, kneeling, or crouching.
- May involve close vision, color vision, depth perception, focus adjustment, and viewing computer monitor for extended periods of time.
- Involves manual dexterity for using keyboard, mouse, and other office equipment.
- May involve moving or lifting items under 10 pounds.
- Innovative, creative, proactive and confident thinker
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Proven history of success in working with/pitching reporters
- Advanced use of Microsoft Office suite and other software programs (Cision, etc.)
- Must be able to manage multiple projects and priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to work a flexible schedule based on department and store/company needs.
- Extensive regional travel involved.
This job description is not all inclusive. Macy’s Inc. reserves the right to amend this job description at any time. Macy's Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment.