BUYING AND PLANNING EXECUTIVE DEVELOPMENT PROGRAMS
The foundation of your merchant career at Bloomingdale’s begins with our Buying and Planning Executive Development Programs. Bloomingdale’s is committed to a culture of collaboration and continuous learning and offers an exciting career with a variety of opportunities for you to take charge. With so many facets to the business of retail, Bloomingdale’s, America’s upscale, full-line contemporary department store, offers a multitude of areas where you can run multi-million dollar businesses.
Our 8 week program combines highly interactive training classes with hands-on experience to help you develop the technical, business, and leadership skills required for your first buying or planning role. This program will teach you how to curate, assort, and allocate merchandise that makes style a creative source of energy in our customers’ lives. You will collaborate with all levels of our executive team to analyze your business and develop strategies that directly impact sales and profitability. Following the successful completion of the program you will be placed into your first role as either an Assistant Buyer or an Assistant Planner.
- Bachelor’s degree with a solid academic record (GPA 3.2 or higher), all majors welcomed
- Ability to demonstrate strong analytical skills
- Well-developed communication, interpersonal and time management skills
- Organized approach to prioritizing projects and ability to multi-task
- Strong business acumen and value on professional business ethics
- Ability to succeed in a team environment
- Proficiency in MS Word and MS Excel
Our Buyers select and curate merchandise that creates a distinctive, powerful image and demand for Bloomingdale’s that speaks to our Omnichannel customer. Our Buyers are responsible for the sales and profitability of the business through strategy creation and execution.
- Partner with vendors to curate a distinguished Bloomingdale's assortment across both channels
- Consistently analyze and react to business trends by strategically selecting appropriate merchandise to satisfy customer demand
- Monitor the stock levels, analyze sell-through, and make recommendations for future product buys
- Seek new and differentiating vendors to satisfy customer demand in your assigned area of business
- Collaborate with cross-functional departments, including Planning, Marketing, Creative and Site Merchandising to grow the business through Omnichannel selling strategies
Our Planners are responsible to drive the business by leveraging analytics to optimize sales, gross margin and turnover for both the stores and online business. Our Planners develop and execute localization strategies to capture business opportunities by demographics, climate and other unique market characteristics.
- Analyze sales and stock performance by location using merchandise reporting to understand opportunities and liabilities
- Develop pre-market analysis using relevant planning tools
- Create and manage the merchandise financial plan
- Cultivate relationships and collaborate with Planning, Buying and other cross-functional teams, including replenishment, sizing, fulfillment and finance to drive the business
- Develop and execute a strategic vision, with a progressive, customer-centric approach all while delivering on sales and profit objectives
LEARN MORE AT
This job description is not all inclusive. Macy’s Inc. reserves the right to amend this job description at any time. Macy's Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment.