The Senior Director, Private Brands – Product is a broad-based and strategic leadership role focused on the vision and development of Macy’s Private Brands. The position requires an entrepreneurial mix of visionary strategy development, end to end product development expertise, solid understanding of product sourcing, exceptional business acumen, strong merchandising skills, and the ability to lead a large team. The leader must be able to develop a strategic vision for their brands, with a progressive, customer centric-approach all while holding teams accountable for delivering on sales and profit, product quality, value for our customer, and on-time delivery, without operating in the tactics of the day to day operations. This leadership role requires the ability to develop a strategic and progressive vision that continually adapts the business process models to compete differently in a changing retail and sourcing environment. A key requirement is to demonstrate curiosity in a much broader and more complex business environment transcending our traditional competitive landscape in order to engage our customer.
IDEAL CANDIDATE PROFILE
The Senior Director, Private Brands – Product will be known as a trusted, agile, collaborative and results-oriented leader, business partner who can lead through influence and who possesses professional maturity and industry credibility. A fundamental requirement is to be able to build trust with their teams and key collaborators. Candidates must be comfortable with quickly evaluating existing process and demonstrating agility to support change. Candidates must be able to collaborate across functions to gain alignment that leads to solid execution. Create a vision that supports being a market share leader in their category. Perform other duties as assigned.
The successful candidate will:
- Have ability to set and to deliver on a strategic category vision that aligns to the North Star strategy.
- Make “company first” decisions that support what’s best for the enterprise.
- Reduce complexity, act decisively, model agility in leadership style.
- Build compelling core and curated assortments exclusive to Macy’s.
- Provide leadership and serve as a Brand Ambassador for Private Brands.
- Manage and lead product and/or design teams in Private Brand line development
Lead and support the core supplier and sourcing strategy.
- Champion white space opportunities and build consensus and strategy to execute.
- Communicate with candor and value open debate to ensure the best ideas come to life.
- Have the temperament to lead and motivate the teams.
- Ability to empower team to remove obstacles.
- Growth oriented mindset with ability to coach teams to embrace growth.
- Demonstrated ability to learn and lead functions outside of core competencies (some cross functional experience optimal).
Private Brand Assortment Strategy
- Lead collaborative strategy development with DMMs, DPMs, and DBMs, to align on assortment architecture, pricing strategy, marketing/promotional strategy, and channel/location exclusive assortments.
- Confirm seasonal drivers, whitespace opportunities, new categories of business, margin initiatives, and key financials for the quarter.
- Guide the conceptual direction in collaboration with the Design Team, setting framework for materials, colors, artwork, and silhouette supporting the assortment strategy.
• Lead in the execution of departmental budget, shipment, and EBIT plans for the FOB. • Set the cost and mark-up expectations to guide the cost negotiations that tie back to the overall financial plan.
- Lead strategic vendor negotiations on large re-orders, corporate policies, corporate books/events, and margin issues and for appropriate shop funding, advertising and visual support.
Develop and Manage Assortments
- Lead the Product Development and teams in building compelling and exclusive assortments that tie back to assortment strategy and lifestyle for Private Brands.
- Assess and guide overall progression of development, setting development targets for each stage in the development cycle that tie back to the assortment strategy and financial plans.
- Guide supplier selection aligning with overall sourcing strategy.
- Lead product team in seeking assortment opportunities, analyzing competitor activity, emerging trends, and pricing strategies.
- Communicate regularly on a strategic level with DMM/DPM partners to gather input and share line development direction.
- Guide the recommended core assortment and quantities, as well as, highlight core key items and business drivers.
- In partnership with the Merchant teams, assess placements against assortment and sourcing strategies (SAS), key categories, classes, and program targets and ensure minimums have been met.
- Identify opportunities to chase trend/fashion product and test and react to new core assortment drivers or new replenishment items.
Sourcing and Costing Strategy
- Establish and maintain a strong core Supplier base by category, aligning with total Private Brand sourcing and supplier strategy/matrix.
- Develop trust and build a collaborative partnership with Overseas teams and Suppliers.
- Review and identify any current global macroeconomic concerns or opportunities with Suppliers (i.e. – rising cotton prices, trade agreements, etc.).
- Provide and manage strategies and projections for Core Suppliers, to secure production capacity, improve costs, and provide transparency throughout development cycles.
- Partner with marketing on development of marketing plans and marketing campaigns to support Private Brand assortments.
- Partner with Marketing and Visual on all visual needs for private brand.
- Lead in preparation and product selection for corporate book/events.
- Ensure merchandise strategies are executed on the store level.
- Responsible for the brand integrity and promotion.
- Collaborate with marketing team to capitalize on big ideas and trends for the season and identify marketing needs to support strategies (i.e. – mailers, social media, PDP, PR, etc.).
Calendar and Production Management
- Collaborate with DMMs, DPMs, and DBMs, to ensure alignment to product development calendar meetings, deadlines, and deliverables.
- Regular, dependable attendance & punctuality.
- 4 year college degree required.
- Ideally, 8-plus years of progressive experience in complex, best-in-class consumer and lifestyle oriented companies that ideally create emotional connections with their customers.
- The broad scope of this role requires a deep understanding of many functions, including Buying, Planning, Product Development, Design, Production Services, Overseas Sourcing, Logistics, and Marketing.
- Proven success in leading teams in a changing and ambiguous business environment.
- Experience working across multiple organizational boundaries.
- Excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills.
- Basic math functions such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and analytical skills.
- Highly proficient in leveraging customer and trend data to inform both strategy, assortment, and decision making.
- This position involves regular walking, standing, sitting for extended periods of time, hearing, and talking.
- May occasionally involve stooping, kneeling, or crouching.
- May involve close vision, color vision, depth perception, focus adjustment, and viewing computer monitor for extended periods of time.
- Involves manual dexterity for using keyboard, mouse, and other office equipment.
- May involve moving or lifting items under 10 pounds.
- Dynamic, transformational leadership, passionate about our work.
- Inspirational leader who is a talent advocate for the organization.
- Develop talent with a company mindset to share talent with peers - do what is right for the associate.
- A builder of engaged and highly functional teams and partnerships.
- Build and manage a robust team of highly motivated category managers.
- Build a culture that will drive engagement, commitment, fresh thinking, and allow for connectedness at all levels within pyramid.
- Comfortable with taking risks and celebrating risk taking regardless of outcome.
- Able to retain focus on vision and outcomes, letting others make decisions without the traditional hierarchical approval – think and act independently.
- Collaborative, supportive style with a strong ability to establish trust and build relationships across all levels and functions of the organization.
- Resilient, tenacious, high energy. Able to rapidly bounce back from adversity.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule based on department and company needs.
- Domestic and international travel as required by business.
This job description is not all inclusive. Macy’s Inc. reserves the right to amend this job description at any time. Macy's Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment.