The Product Assistant is responsible for assisting in the development of Private Label brands, and learns the line development process through working with the Product Development Team. This position will support the Product Manager in developing and executing a strategic vision, with a progressive, customer centric-approach all while delivering on sales and profit objectives. This role requires the ability to leverage technical knowledge to identify opportunities and assist in developing assortment strategies. Fundamental requirements include the ability to collaborate, take ownership of your business, and achieve results. Perform other duties as assigned.
IDEAL CANDIDATE PROFILE
The Product Assistant will be known as a trusted, collaborative and results-oriented business partner who possesses professional maturity and ability to build strong partnerships. The ideal candidate needs to be comfortable and effective supporting the team through significant complexity. Candidates must be comfortable with quickly evaluating and sun-setting legacy approaches that no longer align to the strategy. The ideal candidate will be known for both vision and an equally strong orientation for speed.
The successful candidate will:
- Make “company first” decisions.
- Ability to influence partners.
- Actively influence market to drive business.
- Develop self by participating in ongoing professional development and training.
- Take responsibility for own development plan and curriculum.
- Develop innovative solutions to existing customer or Company challenges.
- Openly accepts and seeks constructive direction for development from supervisor and leadership.
- Self-motivated and demonstrates initiatives.
- Relishes in a fast paced environment and is effective under pressure.
- Leverage collaborative partnerships with counterparts to drive business strategies.
In Season Forecasting
- Responsible for uploading line lists into Order Entry System to create Master Contracts and R1 Contracts.
- Responsible for on-going contract maintenance within Order Entry system, reacting to necessary changes promptly.
- Input costing based upon product offerings and data developed in conjunction with Product Manager.
- Work closely with Customs department to ensure that proper HTS are used and correct duty is applied to an item.
- Assist Product Manager with interaction with Quality Control to ensure that all products meet quality and safety regulations.
- Coordinate with Logistics / Customs to resolve shipping issues.
- Maintain order placements with Buying Team.
- Sample tracking & Order tracking to ensure timely delivery.
Assortment Vision, Strategy & Selection
- Participate in meetings with the vendors / manufacturers when appropriate.
- Assist in the development of style plans based on program plans and unit projections.
- Responsible for tracking and monitoring line development activities by developing and following a seasonal time and action calendar for area of responsibility.
- Competitive shopping to gain awareness of trends in market.
- Develop monthly shipping reports, tracking items from ship window through to DC till receipt date, releasing report to senior management.
- Recap and present Best Seller information to senior management on monthly basis.
- Assist in the development process: Overseas travel preparation and sending out the packages to overseas offices.
Overseas/Domestic Vendors, Marketing, Product Integrity, & Technical Design
- Assist in working with Marketing to identify new packaging, brand/labels, and hangtag needs.
- Track ad samples for customers from date of request through date received.
- Communicate to overseas offices the business projections for the line and interact with them to obtain appropriate samples, swatches, etc.
- Assist Product Manager in communicating to Foreign Offices and Design the private brand/label merchandise, business strategy, and unit projections.
- Report program and style placements and distribute final commitment summary to vendor partners and Buying Team.
- Understands competitive marketplace and assists in pursuing white space opportunities that aligns with the Company Strategy.
- Support Product Manager to drive in season business effectively through influence of promotional strategies based on current business needs.
- Regular, dependable attendance and punctuality.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Product Development, Finance, Marketing or equivalent.
- Experience in retail, stores, or internships.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to influence.
- Strong analytical skills, retail math skills and attention to detail.
- Detail oriented and strategic thinker.
- Ability to be self-motivated; to adapt to fast-paced environment; and to motivate others.
- Developing and coaching Interns and Executive Trainees.
- Inspires, motivates, and influences the behavior of others to drive high performance.
- Engages team to examine current practices and encourages creative thinking about how things could be more effective and efficient.
- Asserts own ideas and persuades others in a clear, confident, and composed manner. Tailors message for the audience and is able to gain support and commitment from others.
- Comfortable with taking risks and celebrating risk taking regardless of outcome.
- Collaborative, consultative style with a strong ability to establish trust and build relationships across all levels and functions of the organization.
- Resilient, tenacious, high energy. Able to rapidly bounce back from adversity.
- Embraces change with realistic optimism and persists through challenges and setbacks caused by change.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule based on department and company needs.
This job description is not all inclusive. Macy’s Inc. reserves the right to amend this job description at any time. Macy's Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment.