Macmillan Publishers is a global trade book publishing company with prominent imprints around the world, publishing a broad range of award-winning books for children and adults in all categories and formats. Macmillan Publishers is committed to our authors, our employees, and to the environment.
U.S. publishers include Celadon Books, Farrar, Straus and Giroux, Flatiron Books, Henry Holt & Company, Macmillan Audio, Macmillan Children’s Publishing Group, Picador, St. Martin's Press and Tor Books. In the UK, Australia, India, and South Africa, Macmillan publishes under the Pan Macmillan name. The German company, Holtzbrinck Deutsche Buchverlage, includes among its imprints S. Fischer, Kiepenheuer and Witsch, Rowohlt, and Droemer Knaur.
Macmillan Publishers is a division of the Holtzbrinck Publishing Group, a large family-owned media company headquartered in Stuttgart, Germany.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to reflecting a broad representation of differences -race, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, physical ability, age, family status, economic background and status, geographical background and status, and perspective — in our workplace. The successful candidate for this position will be an employee of Holtzbrinck Publishing Holdings LP.
Macmillan Publishers is seeking a VP, Digital Marketing to advance Macmillan’s digital marketing capabilities, develop our audience insights and access, and champion best practices to improve the efficacy of our marketing.
The VP, Digital Marketing leads a central digital marketing team with significant expertise in audience development, Email and Social Media marketing, Web development, digital advertising, testing and marketing analytics. The team provides support to all Macmillan imprints, contributing to title campaigns by supporting direct-to-consumer marketing tactics and delivering audience insights and campaign analysis.
The VP, Digital Marketing is responsible for the corporate Website(s) and an extensive set of marketing tools, some of which are developed in house, and liaises regularly with Macmillan’s legal department to ensure compliance with consumer privacy laws.
The ideal candidate will be an excellent communicator and a strong manager with a track record of developing successful teams. He/she will be highly organized and analytical, with a proven ability to manage complex projects, serve multiple stakeholders, and deliver results. He/she will have extensive knowledge of marketing technology and an aptitude for leveraging data to drive results.
- In close collaboration with Macmillan’s imprints and community sites, lead Macmillan’s audience development strategy and identify opportunities for growth
- Manage and develop Macmillan’s Email marketing program, which comprises of over 45 publications, and work with all stakeholders to drive list growth and increase engagement
- Support Macmillan’s Social Media strategy, developing and evangelizing best practices in collaboration with all Macmillan imprints, supporting the Macmillan-branded social channels, and developing Macmillan’s social listening capabilities and influencer programs
- Oversee extensive digital advertising campaigns, primarily on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, and Google, continuously testing and optimizing the approach, and sharing insights and best practices with the advertising teams of the imprints
- Drive Macmillan’s marketing technology innovations, including the continued optimization of our Sales Force Marketing Cloud account, the development of an e-commerce site, and redesign of our corporate Website
- Stay abreast of technology innovations relevant to marketing and continuously seek to bring innovation to the marketing program
- Provide training and guidance to all marketing teams within the imprints, focusing on tools, best practices, and analytics
- Develop Macmillan’s audience insights, targeting and segmentation strategies and support campaigns with actionable audience insights
- Collaborate closely with the analytics team to develop reporting around marketing KPIs and support a robust testing strategy with analytics
- 8+ years of relevant experience in digital marketing
- Strong analytical skills with experience using web analytics, social media and email marketing data, and advertising performance data
- Familiarity with consumer privacy laws, in particular GDPR
- Experience using a CRM system, ideally Sales Force or a close equivalent
- Experience with audience research, targeting and segmentation strategies
- Proven track record of growing and developing audiences in particular through Email and Social Media marketing
- Hands-on experience with self-service advertising platforms, such as Facebook, Instagram, Google, and AMS
- Proven experience developing a technology roadmap, defining requirements, developing solutions, negotiating licenses, and ensuring the successful rollout and adoption of new tools
- Ability to think strategically and act quickly on new opportunities
- Ability to build relationships across multiple groups and communicate effectively with both peers and upper management
- Ability to own projects, take initiative and work independently
Not Required but a Plus:
- Experience working in the Publishing industry
- BA/BS with significant coursework in marketing or equivalent work experience