The Kinross Corporate Head Office is located in downtown Toronto and supports Kinross operations and projects worldwide. Corporate functions include Finance, Technical Services, Business Optimization, Procurement, Health & Safety, Human Resources, IT and Investor Relations.
Works with the Corporate Technical Services Mine Planning team by providing mine planning and technical support. The role involves working independently and with limited supervision in the following areas:
- Mine engineering studies
- Strategic and life of mine planning
- Resource and Reserve calculations
- Mine engineering support
- Cost Modelling and Financial Analysis
- Regulatory compliance
Knowledge of engineering techniques as they apply to ore body evaluation and mine operations is required.
- Contributes to a variety of tasks that support operations, project studies and regulatory compliance
Assist with pit optimization, pit design, life of mine scheduling, equipment selection, and cost models
Assists in auditing budget and strategic LOM plans
Contributes to fleet cycle time studies and haulage network development
Contributes to block model manipulation for mine planning purposes
Supports ongoing scoping, prefeasibility and feasibility studies
Participates in economic studies of mine plan alternatives
Supports the development of technical reports and reserve and resource statements
Analyzes and interprets data in order to prepare technical reports and documentation
Works with consultants and contractors by responding to a variety of internal and/or external requests
Verifies the reserve and resources process for several Kinross properties
Subject matter expert for XERAS cost modeling software within the team
High degree of proficiency in LG optimization, pit design, and LOM scheduling software
Works directly with site mine planners in order to provide support when required
Works cross-functionally with all corporate functions to validate annual budgets and strategic business plans
Provides support to KTS due diligence activities as required
Education and Experience
- Bachelor of Science in geology, mining engineering or a related field.
- Eligible for registration as a professional engineer or professional designation in appropriate area of expertise
- 3-5 years mining-related work experience
- Basic knowledge of mining and milling operations
- Understanding of strategic planning and budgeting in the mining industry
. Knowledge of engineering techniques as they apply to ore body evaluation and mine operations. Basic Level of proficiency with mine planning software systems, such as MineSight, Vulcan, Surpac and or NPVscheduler. Exhibit an interest for learning these systems.
- Strong analytical skills and familiarity with Microsoft Office.
- Understanding of spreadsheet based cash flow analysis.
- Technical report writing and presentation skills.
- Very strong communications skills. Team player with a strong inclination towards developing cooperative solutions.
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills
- Ability to work independently and within a team
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally (approximately 10-30%)
Kinross is a Canadian-based gold mining company with mines and projects in Canada, the United States, Brazil, Chile, Russia, Ghana and Mauritania, employing approximately 9,300 people worldwide. Our core purpose is to lead the world in generating value through responsible mining.