Kinton Kinka Corporation is a hyper-growth Japanese-cuisine restaurant operator based out of Toronto, currently operating 25+ restaurants across Canada, Korea and Japan and about to enter the United States. We are looking for a highly-motivated Financial Controller excited to join and grow alongside a restaurant concept set to grow aggressively both domestically and internationally in the coming years.
The Financial Controller will be responsible for all areas relating to general ledger, financial reporting, year-end audit, cash management, asset management, contract administration, insurance administration and internal controls. The FC will manage the accounting team to ensure that ASPE and at a later stage, IFRS as well as the Accounting/Organization Policy & Procedures are being followed and all statutory and management reports are completed in a timely and accurate manner. This is a senior level position that will play a key role in several transformational initiatives within the Company.
- Develop and implement internal controls and management information reports.
- Maintain and enhance the financial reporting and general ledger structure.
- Maintain proper and accurate accounting records including but not limited to general ledger, asset, contract, insurance and other pertinent records.
- Ensure accurate and timely financial reporting in accordance with ASPE
- Ensure accurate and timely month end and year end close.
- Ensure clean and timely year end audit.
- Coordinate and direct the preparation of the budget and financial forecasts and report variances.
- Monitor and analyze department workflow to enhance efficiency and use of resources while maintaining a high level of accuracy.
- Coordinate the preparation of regulatory reporting which includes corporate tax returns and HST filings.
- Oversee the accounting operations of subsidiary corporations, especially their control systems, transaction-processing operations, cost center closings, early closings and policies and procedures.
- Control the cash flow position throughout the company, understand the sources and uses of cash, and maintain the integrity of funds, securities and other valuable documents.
- Support multi-level business strategic planning and KPI process. Research strategic planning and KPI software, oversee implementation and use, and prepare detailed analysis, summary outputs, and presentations for use by internal management and owners for decision-making.
- Remain current on Restaurant and Retail industry-specific technologies and emerging trends.
- Assist with strategic planning, identification and monitoring of KPIs and implementation of department/company-wide initiatives.
- Build and maintain relationships with the executive team and stakeholders. Enhance cross-functional collaboration by fostering trust, commitment, accountability and results.
- Prepare reports/analyses and participate in other projects as needed.
- Other ad-hoc projects as may be assigned from time to time.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting or Finance required
- Professional accounting designation (e.g. CA/CPA) in good standing from a recognized North American Institute required.
- Minimum 8 years of experience in financial reporting, operations and controls; restaurant industry experience preferred.
- Public accounting experience required, preferably with a "Big 4" accounting firm.
- Solid technical accounting skills (ASPE, IFRS); knowledge of US GAAP a definite asset.
- Proficiency in creating accurate financial documents and reports; ability to analyze complex business and accounting issues; interest/prior experience with financial modelling is a plus.
- Experience in cost analysis and ERP implementation is an asset.
- Demonstrated ability to manage and motivate a team in a high-growth, fast-paced environment with time-sensitive deadlines while maintaining strong attention to detail.
- Strong organizational and leadership skills, openness to new ideas/procedures and ability to take on challenging tasks and work with team members in a hands-on management capacity.
- Prior work experience with an international restaurant concept (particularly with US locations) or private equity funded companies considered a plus.
Job Type: Full-time
- Accounting: 8 years (Preferred)