Reporting to the Director of Product Development, the primary responsibility of this strategic position is to develop new and improve existing products in conjunction with the associated departments and customers. In addition, the Product Developer will provide the technical support for Business Development and our customers as well as other internal members at JD Sweid Foods.
Job Type / Category
The following list of duties and responsibilities of the Product Developer is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and responsibilities of the job described. Rather they are intended only to describe the general nature of the job.
- Develop products to market in conjunction with the BD's and customers' needs starting with feasibility analysis then develop bench top or plant samples as directed. Once approved, the Developer is to provide start-up support to commercialize the product into production, including tasks such as assisting in procurement, cost creation, process details and SOP guidelines.
- Manage and execute development projects for new items for specific customers.
- Improve existing products and production processes to better meet the needs of the customer and to optimize efficiency and costs while maintaining product quality.
- Provide technical support for Business Development and customers as directed - this may include meeting with customer to explain our process, feasibility results, and new ideas.
- Have a good understanding on current related food trends, innovations, regulations, equipment and technologies which may include external research and seminars.
- Maintenance of lab and other work space, administrative and documentation, shipments to customers and labs.
- Provide technical support and assistants to internal departments
Required Education, Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor of Food Science degree required or equivalent education and work experience.
- Experience in food industry, preferably in product development.
- Must be a team player with strong problem solving skills, including ability to predict implications of potential decisions on all corporate departments and customers.
- Possess a "can do" team mentality and be willing to be an active member of the national team.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Good mathematical skills.
JD Sweid Foods is one of the largest further processors of protein products in Canada. We are a privately owned Canadian business that has been providing both the retail and the foodservice channels with high quality products for over 100 years. Our continued success and longevity is due to our unwavering commitment to our customer's needs and ensuring we exceed their expectations in every way. This commitment is incorporated into all we do - from our wide array of products, our focus on safety, the technology we use and the great people we employ.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- product development: 1 year (Preferred)