JASS (Just Associates)
, an international women’s rights organization grounded in regional networks in Southeast Asia, Southern Africa and Mesoamerica, is dedicated to strengthening the voice, visibility and collective organizing power of women. JASS is an equal opportunity employer that values and is enriched by diversity. We strongly encourage people of color, LGBTQ, and differently abled people to apply. If this job description resonates with your background and interests and excites you, we strongly urge you to apply. We are looking for an experienced and dedicated Staff Accountant for our cross-regional office in Washington, DC.
Reporting to the Director of Finance and Operations, and as part of the cross-regional Finance and Operations team and broader global finance teams, the Staff Accountant performs assigned accounting functions requiring in-depth knowledge of JASS’ financial systems. This position will provide support for various aspects of the finance department’s operations, applying Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) in the analysis, verification and preparation of general ledger transactions and other financial records. The Staff Accountant will support grants management including tracking restricted expenditures, releasing funds and reporting on restricted grants. Additionally, the Staff Accountant will support administrative tasks under Operations.
- Responsible for all Accounts Payable and General Journal entries into JASS’ Accounting systems (INTACCT) by either directly uploading or data entry in an accurate, filing within INTACCT or manually and timely manner, including:
Accounts Payable data upon approval from Director of Finance & Operations.
Monthly financial reports from regional offices.
Credit card information.
General Journal Entries.
- Perform Monthly Bank Reconciliation into INTACCT in line with accounting schedule.
- Review, audit and reconcile all travel reimbursements in line with JASS’ travel policies and procedures.
- Review and enter all timesheets with precision and update paid leave (Vacation, Sick, and Personnel) worksheets accordingly to ensure the timely dissemination of leave updates to all JASS personnel.
- Ensure that all Consultant records are properly set up and up-to-date.
- Set up new vendor in Accounts Payable modules to ensure that all dates are correct and ready for 1099 reporting.
- Assist in compiling schedules and in the 990 IRS and State annual filings.
- Assist the Senior Accountant with the month-end closing.
- Support annual year-end close process, including preparing supporting schedules for the interim/annual audits and tax returns.
- Other duties as assigned.
BA in accounting or related field
Minimum of 3 years working in a staff accountant position for a nonprofit organization; familiar with GAAP and non-profit specific accounting requirements; prior hands-on accounting and INTACCT experience a strong plus.
Experience accounting for and reporting on a variety of restricted funding sources, including private foundations and government grants, with a clear understanding of cost classifications, expense allocations and cost recovery methodologies
Strong and responsive communicator including on email, Skype, Wire and with colleagues across different offices/time zones/cultures
Organized, productive, and extremely detail oriented.
Reliable and able to work effectively to timelines with minimal supervision, while also knowing when to ask for help
Experience working for an international NGO a plus
Spanish language skills a plus
Commitment to the goals and mission of JASS