*Senior Programmer Analyst
Jarislowsky Fraser Limited is a registered portfolio management firm founded in 1955 as a research boutique. Jarislowsky Fraser today manages the portfolios of pension funds, foundations, corporations and individuals in Canada, the United States and internationally — representing more than $35 billion in assets under management. Solidified by a strong fiduciary culture, JFL has a long history of advocating for good governance. Headquartered in Montreal, we have offices in Toronto, Calgary, Vancouver and New York.
The Senior Programmer Analyst is responsible for the effective analysis, design, development, implementation and support of mission critical, risk management and decision support systems of medium to high complexity.
The Senior Programmer Analyst is responsible for the development of small development projects, and participate in the development of major projects. In addition to development projects, the incumbent is also required to support multiple applications concurrently. The Senior Programmer Analyst must ensure high availability, integrity and reliability of programs developed where the consequence of error could expose the Bank or JFL to a significant loss or undue risk.
- Develop cost-effective and efficient applications to meet business objectives by analyzing user requirements, providing technical specifications and design and developing/maintaining programs according to standards
- Ensure programs and applications developed meet the high availability, integrity and reliability of the on-line transaction processing environment
- Provide production and user acceptance testing support to assigned applications by identifying, evaluating, escalating, resolving problems and supporting other team members
- Implement new systems or enhancements by reviewing programs written by team members, establishing and executing system test procedures, developing implementation plan, developing the required program and system documentation and ensuring all functionality has been delivered as required
- Provide post-implementation support and training to the computer operations staff on the production processing functionality
- Assist project leader or Manager by supervising more junior staff, providing backup support to the Project Leader or Manager, assisting with the development of detailed workplaces and monitoring progress against plan
- Provide technical guidance and review to other team members by conducting technical walkthroughs
- Keep current on rapidly changing technological trends, self-teach new technologies and maintain an understanding of the Firm's business and technology strategies
- A degree in computer science, math or engineering related discipline
- 3-5 years practical experience
- Need to be on-call at times to ensure systems support is readily available and that systems are operational according to documented user service level agreements
Skills/ Competencies / Attributes:
- Good understanding of business systems analysis and development
- Good analytical, problem solving and troubleshooting skills
- Creative and flexible in identifying technical solutions to resolve business problems in a rapidly changing, demanding and complex business environment
- Must have a detailed understanding of the application systems he/she is responsible for
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
- Knowledge of the following technical skills:
- Client/server computing
- System analysis and design
- Multiple operating platforms, such as UNIX and Windows
- Programming languages (C, Shell scripts, SQL) and programming methodologies. Knowledge of SSRS is an asset
- Object-oriented programming (i.e. C ++ ) and database technology
- Development techniques, such as debugging, testing, coding, use of productivity tools
- Hardware and operating system configuration
- Knowledge of Asset Management and Trade Execution software systems is an asset
We welcome all applications and wish to thank all candidates for their interest in applying for this position. However, only individuals selected for interviews will be contacted.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- practical: 3 years (Required)