Title: Product Development Director
Location: Headquarters is San Ramon, CA
About the Company:
For more than a quarter of a century Japonesque has created cutting edge beauty products inspired by the professional makeup tools used in Kabuki theatre in Japan. Japonesque's product line includes makeup brushes, eyelash curlers, tweezers, makeup cases and other beauty accessories as well as a recently launched line of color cosmetics. The collection combines high-impact fashion color with pro performance and flawlessly refined complexion formulations. The unprecedented color and long wear textures are housed in one-of-a-kind luxurious packaging.
Japonesque supplies cosmetics, beauty tools, and hair products to the prestige and mass market retail channels. The company distributes and markets branded and private label products across multiple categories and retail customers including Ulta and CVS.
Japonesque products have been sold in leading prestige beauty retailers and with the recent introduction of products into the drug and mass channels, the Company has experienced explosive growth. Having recently partnered with leading consumer Private Equity firm, San Francisco Equity Partners, the Company is profitable with no short term need for additional capital to fund growth.
About the Position:
This position is directly responsible for the development of a broad range of products through all phases of development from ideation through commercialization. This position requires an understanding of current trends and the ability to be innovative and accurately evaluate quality. We are looking for a candidate who has extensive product development experience and demonstrated superior results in the beauty, cosmetics, personal care or related categories.
The ideal candidate should be ambitious, entrepreneurial, have exceptional problem-solving skills as well as strong project management skills. She/he must contribute to a positive culture and have a strong team-building orientation. Experience working collaboratively with other functions such as sales, marketing, and supply chain is important to success in this position.
This is an exempt full-time position based in the Company's San Ramon, California office.
Essential Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
- Generate ideas for the development of new products that are on trend and add value to customer assortments.
- Responsible for product ownership including all new items for specified clients/brands, refreshing current assortment aesthetics as well as new branding and assortment restructure.
- Support the VP of Sales as well as the entire sales team on creation of strategic presentation materials needed for customer meetings which include marketing briefs, launch decks, strategy slides, product profiles, comps, and branding collateral.
- Lead and manage product development projects through all phases of development ensuring deadlines are met and product launches occurs in a timely manner.
- Develop and communicate all time lines, costs, MOQ, formula attributes and ingredient listings for products in development to both internal and external resources and stakeholders.
- Analyze, plan, and control product costs through the development process to ensure gross margin goals are met.
- Manage all product related packaging development work, artwork & die lines between printer, vendor, graphic designer and Japonesque.
- Stay abreast of the competitive market, research retail environment for product, trend, pricing, comp items, attend tradeshows, purchase and present compelling and relevant competitive products.
- Partner with marketing on product information sheets and product branding.
- Develop relationships with existing and new suppliers, internal cross functional teams and customers/brands.
- Help to identify new ideas and evaluate business opportunities that maximize revenue and profitability and minimize risk, using market research, analysis and/or competitive market intelligence.
- Travel domestically and internationally when necessary.
Essential Skills & Characteristics:
- Bachelor's degree in a related field is required.
- Must have Beauty category development experience.
- Enthusiasm for the beauty industry and its products, marketing, advertising, and popular culture trends. Strong desire to provide the best product possible.
- Ability to work productively and constructively under pressure and thrive in a rapidly changing, fast-paced environment.
- Strong problem-solving skills and a willingness to be held accountable for delivering superior results on time and on budget.
- A team player possessing strong interpersonal skills with an ability to develop relationships and communicate with all levels of management.
- Organized, positive, and high-energy individual with an entrepreneurial spirit and an ability to execute with high attention to detail.
- Sense of urgency, persistence, and determination, yet flexible and open to internal and external feedback on products being developed.
- Solid computer skills including proficiency in MS Word, MS Excel & MS Outlook, SalesForce and Basecamp experience a plus.
- A Collaborative team player with the confidence to take the lead, when appropriate.
- Experience working in smaller, high-growth companies is a plus.
- Ability to thrive in a rapidly changing, fast-paced environment.
Job Type: Full-time