Who We Are: James River Insurance Company has been named a Top Workplace in Richmond, by the Richmond Times Dispatch, for the 5th Year in a Row. We are seeking talented Accounting and Finance professionals to join our team!
What We Offer: Work/Life Balance, Excellent Compensation and Benefits, Challenging Work and a Collaborative Team Environment.
Job Summary: Assist in the preparation of Statutory & GAAP Financial Statements and handle day to day financial reporting of all activities that will assist management and others in making educated economic decisions about the Company’s future.
- Continuously exhibit and uphold Core Values of Integrity, Accountability, Communication and Teamwork, Innovation and Customer Service.
- Assist in the preparation of and entering monthly and quarterly journal entries.
Assist in preparing financial reporting such as internal and external monthly financial statements and annual audits.
Assist in preparing and completing annual and quarterly NAIC statutory financial statements (Yellow Books).
- Assist with cash application, A/R. A/P, suspense clearing, bank account reconciliations, etc.
- Abiding by and enforcing internal controls and accounting policy, including externally required controls for SOX. Ensure audit readiness and compliance.
- Interacting with and responding to state insurance departments and regulatory authorities if necessary.
Assist in preparation of reinsurance reports and remittances, tracking of outstanding receivables, and any related reinsurance accounting.
Assist in maintaining systems and controls which verify the integrity of all systems, processes and data and enhance the Company’s value.
- Assisting with financial planning and analysis including budgets, forecasts, results analysis and capital planning.
- Respond to the Controller with accurate and timely work to facilitate the Company’s financial needs.
- Participate in a wide variety of special projects and compile special reports as necessary.
Conform with and abide by all internal and external regulations and policies.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Working knowledge of GAAP, ledger, account reconciliation, audit/control procedures, cash, A/P, A/R, payroll, income tax, investment accounting, banking and/or accounting systems
- Knowledge of Statutory Accounting, Reinsurance Accounting and other aspects of insurance operations a plus
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong analytical skills with exceptional attention to detail
- High level of initiative and motivation
- Strong work ethic with a drive to succeed
- Proactive self-starter with a bias toward teamwork
- Ability to work under pressure and manage multiple deadlines
- Intermediate to Expert level proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook)
Experience and Education
- Bachelors Degree in Accounting or Finance or related required
- Experience in accountancy or finance roles preferred
- Working towards CPA designation a plus
Hands-on accounting experience within the Property and Casualty Insurance industry a plus, but not required