Come grow your career with James River Insurance!
James River Insurance is a specialty insurer operating on an approved non-admitted basis across the United States. Since 2003, James River has provided thousands of commercial property and casualty customers with innovative and creative solutions for particular insurance needs.
At James River Insurance we are committed to providing a stable and rewarding work environment supported by our core values and guiding principles: Integrity, Accountability, Innovations, Customer Service, Communication, and Teamwork.
As an Accounting Associate, you will provide support to the Accounts Receivable, Accounts Payable or another sub-functional team within the Finance department, by processing transactions according to functional and departmental timeliness and accuracy standards, communicating effectively with both internal and external customers, and handling day-to-day tasks that will assist management and others in making educated economic decisions.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Continuously exhibit and uphold Core Values of Integrity, Accountability, Communication and Teamwork, Innovation and Customer Service
- Conform with and abide by all internal and external regulations and policies
- Process daily transactions using the Company’s core systems
- Identify and resolve transaction discrepancies with internal and external customers according to established procedures
- Assist in reconciling daily transactions between systems, prior periods and supporting documentation following establish procedures
- Assist in maintaining and improving systems and controls which verify the integrity of all systems, processes, and data
- Respond to management with accurate and timely reporting, both ad-hoc and on-going, to facilitate communication of the Company’s financial performance
- Send copies of documents to internal and external customers as requested
- Coordinate external customers’ requests for information with other departments
- Establish and maintain proper recordkeeping and filing systems
- Respond to email and voicemail requests in a timely manner
- Identify areas of improvement opportunity and communicate these with department management
- Handle various projects as assigned by department management to improve functional operations
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- General knowledge of account reconciliation, audit/control procedures, cash, A/P, A/R and/or accounting systems
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong work ethic with a drive to succeed; high level of initiative and motivation
- Proactive self-starter with a bias toward teamwork
- Strong analytical skills with exceptional attention to detail
- Ability to work under pressure and manage multiple deadlines
- Ability to handle urgent requests in a time-sensitive manner
- Intermediate to expert level proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, Power Point)
Experience and Education:
- Pursuing or achieved a four-year degree in Accounting, Finance or related required
- Prior experience or internship in corporate finance a plus