Reporting to the Area/Regional Sales Manager, the Regional Sales Representative works to strategically target potential customers, (builders, architects, developers, dealers and installers) to generate and grow new business and to successfully convert the target audience from using traditional building products to using the Company’s products. The incumbent also positions the Company’s value proposition and whole-product solution to the customer to build and enhance strong customer relationships and to become a strong business partner. With a strong knowledge of business and market sense, the incumbent successfully manages an assigned sales territory and reports on related marketing activities by conducting competitive market analysis, competitive intelligence, and other sales-related research.
Works collaboratively with the appropriate Area/Regional Sales Manager (ASM/RSM) to target and successfully sell to builders within the key target profile, leveraging key channel partners and preferred wholesalers, dealers, and installers. Manages existing business and grows new business within the assigned territory relative to the existing market by:
- Developing a territory-specific sales strategy centered on the definition of the key profile customer and a related sales approach for successful selling techniques to this target audience;
- Leveraging relationships to generate and qualify viable leads into opportunities;
- Proactively initiating action with target customers by finding creative methods to establish and maintain customer engagement;
- Establishing effective segment targeting positioning models;
- Securing a high number of appointments with target customers’ decision makers;
- Move opportunities through the sales process and ensure that the proper prospect funnel ratios are in place at all times, including new prospect list opportunities, calendar of appointments, proposals delivered and opportunities committed/converted;
- Following-through with all selling activities to maximize close ratio;
- Leveraging the Company brand and reputation, and specific sales tools and reporting activities and results.
- Ensuring conversions and sales are 100% compliant with the Company’s best practices and standards of quality;
The Regional Business Development Representative focuses sales efforts in his/her geographical territory in coordination with and leadership from his/his appropriate ASM/RSM. It is his/her responsibility to individualize a plan for each territory and to decide on the proper focus areas for how best to attain sales goals. The impact to the organization is significant as it will increase primary demand business relative to the housing market within his/her defined geographic territory focusing on all aspects in the territory. The incumbent will need to develop a target list of potential builders as well as to develop a supply chain and installer base that supports the success of new builder conversions to the Company.
Scope of Position:
The Regional Sales Representative is expected to make a set number of quality Opportunity calls and Account Management calls per week by effectively utilizing the James Hardie sales process. The incumbent will be calling on builders, developers, architects, installers, and dealers.
The impact of this role to the organization can be measured by the increase in sales in the District and in total conversions vs targets established by the ASM/RSM.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Overnight Travel is Required (up to 25%)
- Superior interpersonal and written/oral communication skills with the ability to relate well and cooperate with others to effectively coordinate activities and accomplish goals.
- Proven success in developing new business and generating sales leads by managing a territory and selling activities.
- Demonstrated ability in problem solving, crafting a win-win solution (collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions in a timely basis) and negotiation with special emphasis on closing the sale.
- Ability to communicate and work with cross-functional teams and all levels in the organization.
- Results-oriented to ensure delivery of appropriate products and services in an accurate, complete, and timely fashion.
- Demonstrated intermediate skills with the standard features of various personal computer word processing and spreadsheet software (Microsoft Word and Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Internet, and proprietary software).
- Excellent presentation skills before both small and large groups.
- A demonstrable capacity to keep abreast of new industry trends and best sales practices and how they would interact with Company products.
- Willingness and ability to work from home office environment and structure a productive schedule with little to no supervision.
- Strong self-directed organizational skills to organize time effectively on daily and weekly basis.
- Demonstrated ability to execute on a plan and drive results.
- Ability to maintain and upgrade individual skills set, per market, through continuous learning and market awareness.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Bachelor’s degree in Sales, Marketing, or a related field (advanced degree preferred).
- 5 or more years of successful outside sales experience selling value-added, whole solution products to customers within the consumer durables, manufacturing, telecommunications, or other transferable industry.
- Experience with market development concepts [adoption lifecycle, market development checklist, and STP (segmenting / targeting / positioning)] based on sustaining products and innovations.
- Market development experience (preferred).
- Sales Ability/Persuasiveness: Using appropriate interpersonal styles and communication methods to gain acceptance of a product, service, or idea from prospects and clients.
- Negotiation: Effectively exploring alternatives and positions to reach outcomes that gain the support and acceptance of all parties.
- Decision Making: Identifying and understanding issues; problems, and opportunities; comparing data from different sources to draw conclusions; using effective approaches for choosing a course of action or developing appropriate solutions; taking action that is consistent with available facts, constraints, and probable consequences.
- Tenacity: Staying with a position or plan of action until the desired objective is obtained or is no longer reasonably attainable.
- Planning and Organizing: Establishing courses of action for self and others to ensure that work is completed efficiently.
- Risk Taking: Initiating action that tries to achieve a recognized benefit or advantage when potential negative consequences are understood.
- Follow-up: Monitoring the results of delegations, assignments, or projects; considering the skills, knowledge, and experience of the assigned individual and the characteristics of the assignment or project.
- Contributing to Team Success: Actively participating as a member of a team to move the team toward the completion of goals.
- Energy: Consistently maintaining high levels of activity or productivity; sustaining long working hours when necessary; operating with vigor, effectiveness, and determination over extended periods of time.
- Impact: Creating a good first impression, commanding attention and respect, showing an air of confidence.
- Customer Focus: Making customers and their needs a primary focus on one’s actions; developing and sustaining productive customer relationships.
- Adaptability: Maintaining effectiveness when experiencing major changes in work tasks or the work environment; adjusting effectively to work within new work structures, processes, requirements, or cultures.
James Hardie is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, among other things, or as a qualified individual with a disability. Equal Employment Opportunity is the law.