Working within JEA's procedural and quality frameworks, the Web Developer interprets specifications and develops/tests/documents application components. This role is based in Winnipeg, MB and will also provide support for applications that are deployed in live production.
- MUST be eligible to work in Canada
- MUST be able to obtain and maintain security clearance as a condition of employment.
- Position requires a start time of 6:45 am in order to provide support starting at 7:00 am.
What we offer:
- A fun and relaxed work environment
- Competitive medical, dental, and counselling benefits
- Company-sponsored RRSP-matching benefits
- Supportive and involved management
Excited? Great, here's what you'll be doing!
You interpret technical specifications and design, develop, document, and test application solutions within JEA's own procedural and quality frameworks.
What does that entail? Glad you asked!
- Translating solutions into detailed program specifications.
- Collaborating with team members to clarify program intent, determining areas of complexity, identifying challenges and potential risks, and recommending development strategies.
- Conducting program design activities, including the definition of data and error messages.
- Developing, optimizing and maintaining application modules, data and reporting solutions.
- Modifying programs to increase operating efficiencies, adapting to new requirements or correct errors.
- Verifying accuracy and completeness of software programs.
- Identifying, analyzing and remedying technical anomalies and deficiencies.
- Preparing sample data and unit tests, and conducting testing to confirm that application modules fulfil functional requirements.
- Preparing technical documentation for other developers, users, or system services personnel.
- Creating installation parameters to enable integration, transition and efficiencies.
- Preparing and/or contributing to instructions or manuals to guide end-users.
You contribute to the productivity and success of the development team by:
- Collaborating on the management of workloads, and the accomplishment of team objectives.
- Contributing to the improvement of work processes and operational efficiencies.
- Providing coaching, mentoring, training and/or guidance to enhance the skills of other team members.
- Monitoring your own workload, providing regular progress reports and striving to increase productivity.
You will provide operational technical support and analysis to internal and external parties in a post-production phase in accordance with pre-defined response and resolution service levels.
You will be part of a growing, close-knit team that has gained a strong reputation for excellence. We are proud of our employees and want you to be proud to be part of our team!
What you're bringing to the table:
- Degree or diploma in an IT discipline, mathematical, or related field, preferred.
Recent (within the past 3 years), related experience:
- Must have 3 years of experience, working on a web development team, interpreting specifications and developing/testing/documenting software application components.
- Experience developing pension administration software within the last three years, preferred but not necessary.
- Software development life cycle and object-oriented development methodology, including design principles, techniques and tools.
- Industry software development life cycle, technologies, and development tools.
- Java 8 (expert level)
Application programming interfaces:
- Spring Data
- Spring Security
- Application frameworks:
- Spring Framework 5
- Spring Boot
- Spring Cloud
- RESTful web services
- Databases: Oracle 12c, PostgreSQL 10.1.
- Issue management tools: Atlassian JIRA.
- Reporting tools: Jasper
- Software version control: Bitbucket.
Skills and abilities:
- Oral and written communication skills; technical writing skills; attention to detail when communicating.
- Analytical and problem solving skills.
- Able to manage multiple priorities and consistently produce results within timelines.
- Able to develop and maintain positive working relationships with internal/external contacts.
- Able to translate client requirements into technical/functional specifications.
- Able to design and document detailed system components (including data structures, files, programs, modules, etc.), interfaces, operating environments, production monitoring and testing strategies/systems.
If this speaks to you on a deep level, get in touch - we want to hear from you! Send your resume with cover letter to us, quoting "System Developer - Web" in the subject line, and show us what you've got.
Job Type: Full-time
- Web Development: 3 years (Required)
- pension administration software: 3 years (Preferred)
- AEC / DEP or Skilled Trade Certificate (Preferred)