For more than 30 years, the James Beard Foundation has championed chefs and other culinary professionals while highlighting the centrality of food culture in our daily lives.
Through the James Beard Awards, unique dining experiences at the James Beard House and around the country, scholarships, hands-on learning, and a variety of industry programs that educate and empower leaders in our community, the foundation has built a platform for chefs and asserted the power of gastronomy to drive behavior, culture and policy change around food.
To this end the foundation has also created signature impact-oriented initiatives that include our Women's Leadership Programs aimed at addressing the gender imbalance in the culinary industry; advocacy training through our Chefs Boot Camp for Policy and Change; and the James Beard Foundation Leadership Awards that shine a spotlight on successful change makers.
As an organization we are committed to giving chefs and their colleagues a voice and the tools they need to make the world more sustainable, equitable, and delicious for everyone.
The Foundation is seeking a Director of Sponsorship who will report to the Chief Operating Officer, work closely with the Sponsor Relations, Accounting, and Communications teams, and be based in Flatiron, NYC.
The Director of Sponsorship is responsible for the continuity and expansion of sponsor development for the Foundation.Principal responsibilities include stewarding of existing sponsors through renewals and upgrades, and prospecting and leading the efforts to achieve the Foundation's strategic priorities of expanding corporate relationships to enhance revenue, awareness, and engagement. The Director of Sponsorship will coordinate all sales efforts internally and with external event producers, identify new funding sources that match organizational priorities and values, and build and maintain productive relationships which will support the Foundation through a time of growth.
- Refine sponsorship strategy and build targets and prospects
- Conduct prospect research, solicit and secure sponsors to meet a Corporate Sponsorship goal of $7MM+ growing to $12MM in the next 5 years
- Develop best-in-class, customized sponsorship proposals, appeals and reports in coordination with various departments
- Lead the valuation of current JBF program and event assets to ensure sponsor packages are delivering commensurate value year over year
- Guide the creation of sponsor benefit packages for emerging JBF programs (e.g. a JBF Pop-Up at SXSW)
- Partner with JBF communications team and external agencies to concept effective digital and sponsored content overlays for existing and new sponsors
- Work closely with Chief Operating Officer to draft and execute sponsor contracts
- Ensure sponsor payments are received and acknowledged accordingly
- Nurture sponsor relationships to grow over time in alignment with JBF mission and values
- Maintain sponsor contact tracking, contact information, and follow-up actions in JBF database, as well as current upkeep of all prospect lists
- Maintain current sponsor tracking document of pitched and confirmed partners against budget
- Keep abreast of key corporate moves and changes
- Strategically manage sponsor outreach with event production partners, external sales agencies, and independent sales consultants for a coordinated voice in the marketplace
- Coordinate and drive bi-weekly sales meetings with all stakeholders who participate in the sales and activation process, distributing meeting notes and action items in a timely fashion and ensuring follow-up with team members
- Strategic thinker, creative problem solver, and strong operator
- Proven track record for corporate sales with successful delivery of 6 and 7 figure contracts
- Ability to identify corporate prospects and provide strategies to secure funding
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team
- Strong management skills and experience building a team
- Ability to communicate verbally and share ideas in professional manner
- Ability to communicate in writing and build powerful pitch decks
- Experience selling digital media and/or sponsored content
- Deep understanding of sponsor assets and their valuation
- Excellent listening skills
- Ability to organize and track a wide variety of correspondence and documents
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite programs, prospect research tools, fundraising databases and Salesforce
- Ability to meet or exceed deadlines by demonstrating initiative and ownership of projects
Job Type: Full-time
- Event Coordination: 1 year (Preferred)
- Sales & Marketing: 2 years (Preferred)
- Digital Marketing: 1 year (Preferred)