Project Engineer - (190001FO)
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
This position is responsible for independently performing testing and evaluation for Energy products such as inverters, power converters, solar panels, energy storage systems and other energy products to the provisions of U.S., Canadian and other International product standards; creating evaluation reports and test plans, conducting and/or witnessing testing, resolving technical issues and communicating with clients.
This position reports to the Manager, Electrical Safety.
EXAMPLES OF WORK
Listed examples are illustrative, and representative of the tasks required of this position and are not intended to be complete or exclusive.
- Independently conduct on and off site evaluation of products to determine compliance with applicable standard(s). To do this, Project Engineer must:
- Read and determine applicability of national codes and standards clauses for the EUT (equipment under test);
- Read and understand schematics and manufacturing instructions;
- Validate the project scope and sample applicability;
- Under scope of the project, identify and locate test instruments and equipment required for testing;
- Follow established test plan;
- Set up and operate EUT; perform and document simple repairs on EUT as needed;
- Conduct thorough construction review; document results;
- Perform testing of products in accordance with standards. Core tests include, but are not limited to: rating, leakage current, dielectric, temperature, pressure, stability, mechanical hazard, flammability, abnormal and fault insurance, rain, radiation, sound, and laser.
- Mentor less senior technical personnel.
- Supply information for quotes such as length of project, site needed, rental equipment, samples, and standards that will be used.
- Complete preliminary design reviews (PDR) both on and off site.
- Provide more specialized "expertise" in one product category, i.e., become reviewer, resident expert, or obtain and maintain advanced product knowledge.
- Develop and set up test plans.
- Perform field labeling jobs.
- Set up and operate standard test equipment including, but not limited to: power analyzer, oscilloscope, multi-meter, dielectric strength tester, ground continuity tester, digital multi-meter, surge generator, over-voltage tester, environmental condition chamber, and articulated probes. Use hand tools to build/calibrate test fixtures.
- Follow sample handling procedures, ensuring that sample is logged in and out of the system. Move equipment as needed through the facility. Properly package sample for shipment.
- Provide sales support such as attending client visits.
- Communicate project status and test results to client, sales personnel, and management throughout testing. Provide on-going support to clients as needed.
- Within policy guidelines, identify, properly document, and recommend engineering judgments.
- Perform other work as required.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Bachelors degree in electrical engineering
- 2-4 years directly related experience with energy products and standards
- Prior project management experience is a plus
- Demonstrated experience with U.S., Canadian, and other International product safety standards, i.e., ANSI, CSA, UL, EN, IEC, IEEE
- Experience with inverter and PV standards such as UL 1741, IEEE 1547, IEC 62109, UL 1703, UL 2703 etc
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS and ABILITIES
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions
- Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form
- Ability to deal with several abstract and concrete variables
- Ability to make technical decisions and engineering judgments independently within established parameters
- Excellent communication skills, in both verbal and written formats
- Excellent organization and time management skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Must be self-motivated and able to work independently in a fast-paced, multi-tasking environment
This position outline is a general guideline and does not represent all encompassing details. The position assumes that the incumbent has both the mental and physical requirements to carry out the above defined duties.
Primary Location: CA-ON-Mississauga
Work Locations: Mississauga Kenway Drive 6225 Kenway Drive Mississauga L5T 2L3
Organization: CAN20:Intertek Testing Services NA Ltd
Employee Status: Individual Contributor
Job Level: First Shift
Travel: Yes, 50 % of the Time
Job Posting: Jun 5, 2019, 1:42:45 PM