IFS is a high growth, global high tech employer with a suite of products including the most widely-used aviation maintenance software platform in the world. We have the distinct pleasure of working with a wide range of the world's leading aviation and defense organizations including companies like GE, Saab, BAE Systems, Southwest Airlines, LATAM, and Qantas - to design, develop, and deliver mission critical enterprise software.
Our employees come to work every day knowing that they are doing something that really matters - they help make maintenance more predictable, and reliable for the global aviation and defense community.
The Software Engineer contributes to the success of our business by applying their skills and experience to the design and development of fit-for-purpose user focused enterprise-grade software. By considering usability, maintainability, testability, security, as well as performance concerns - the software developer continuously seeks to expand both product and technical domain while actively seeking to support effective high-quality delivery of software within a cross-functional Agile and Lean delivery team. You will seek to translate knowledge and experience learned at school into the context of work life within R&D at IFS. Working within their team, their role is to learn as much as possible from their peers and colleagues all while seeking to make positive contributions to the team's deliverables.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
All Software Engineers within R&D at IFS strive to build their core craft and fundamentally have the same essential duties and responsibilities on our teams. The Software Engineer's capability is a lens applied based on overall knowledge and skills that the team member has been able to acquire over time. Please see Knowledge and Skills section to better understand this lens. That said, the Duties and Responsibilities for all Software Engineers include:
Technically design and develop fit for purpose software based on user focused product based and technical requirements:
- Ensuring usability, maintainability, testability, security and performance - Using sound and established engineering/architectural practices and principles
- Evaluating and suggesting alternative solutions - Defining technical test flows and ensuring appropriate test coverage via unit and integration testing
- Ability to review, understand, learn from and make improvement suggestions on code
- Test, debug, review and maintain enterprise scale software solutions by qualifying, locating and resolving software flaws.
Contribute to team-based activities related to product/solution management:
- Active contributor to planning activities and estimation
- Performing technical and design analysis
- Assisting in defining future direction and vision for domains/concepts
- Seeking customer satisfaction and solution fit
- Emphasizing knowledge sharing and supporting peers and colleagues
- Seeking continuous improvement of team, product, and processes using an Agile and Lean mindset
Knowledge and Skills
Ownership, Quality and Effort:
Requests feedback on priorities and communicates risks to stakeholders in a timely manner. Takes ownership of their work: ensures clear understanding of expectations; drives towards successful completion of tasks. Able to produce solid outcomes but it's understood that this may take more time than a more experienced team members (e.g. 1.5 - 2 times longer, depending on the complexity of the work).
Problem Solving and Design:
Solves problems alone that do not require extensive experience. Considers possible solutions before seeking assistance. Is pro-active in requesting feedback and help on design decisions before proceeding from more experienced team members (e.g. refactoring, automation, technical design).
Communication and Sphere of Influence:
Builds positive relationships with the team by being trustworthy (reliable and predictable) and respectful. Actively seeks to learn and readily adopts behaviours or team practices that enable delivery (e.g. team charters, Lean and Agile practices). Developing an appreciation and empathy for client's needs within the domain of their work.
Capabilities and Learning:
Focused on personal growth. Hungry for knowledge and new experiences. Has a positive attitude towards learning
Education and Experience
- College Diploma or University Degree with a specialization in software development and engineering and/or relevant experience
- 0-2 of years of relevant professional experience or school based / personal projects
- Experience with Java or similar object oriented language (along with good design patterns)
- Experience with SQL or relational databases
- Knowledge of J2EE and Relevant Design Patterns
- Familiarity with source code control (Git, SVN, etc) and build automation software (gradle, anthill, etc)
Nice to Haves
- Experience working on medium-large scale web applications
- Experience with Oracle (PL/SQL or other Oracle technologies)
- Working knowledge of RESTful web services
- Experience building integration between systems
- Advanced debugging/analytical skills (memory management, performance, concurrency)
If you are looking for an exciting opportunity to build a career in an innovative and dynamic organization, submit your resume by Applying for this Job below.
We welcome applications from all interested candidates. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. IFS Aerospace and Defense LTD. is an equal opportunity employer and accommodates people with disabilities throughout the recruitment and selection process