INDEPENDENT ELECTRICITY SYSTEM OPERATOR
Job Title: Specialist, Data Management and Systems
Requisition ID: 14855
Location: Mississauga and Oakville
Temporary Assignment: Yes, up to 24 months
The Corporate Technology Solutions (CTS) team is a highly technical team within the I&TS Business Unit accountable for the design, configuration, upkeep, and operations of key components of IESO’s infrastructure including the physical and virtual server infrastructure, databases that support key applications, as well as a number of cloud-based corporate messaging and collaboration applications. Aside from the team's role in I&TS projects that traverse multiple business units within the organization, it also plays a role in the development, administration and support of hosting and database infrastructure related to the for the Energy Stream of the Market Renewal Project (MRP).
Provide life cycle management of databases and related software by participating in the establishment of user requirements, databases and related software design, integration of commercial products, software coding, enhancements, trouble- shooting, preparation of procedures, database administration, consulting, training, and researching commercial products.
The Data Management and Systems’ Specialist will be accountable to:
- Conduct studies/participate/lead project teams to design and develop databases and database systems. This involves data modeling (working with other team members to define database schema), developing physical databases, developing stored procedures and configuring database software.
- Administer database systems. This involves performing common database administration duties such as capacity planning, installation, configuration, database design, migration, performance monitoring, security, troubleshooting, as well as backup and data recovery.
- Provide life cycle management of databases and database software to support products and services.
- Provide advice, guidance and direction to other teams to ensure that their database products are adequately designed and integrated.
- Provide integrated databases and database software to support business systems.
- Perform database management duties, prepare procedures and/or support personnel involved in database administration duties.
- Provide database consulting support to operations, maintenance or software development staff.
- Develop procedures required for the secure operation and management of databases. Perform database systems attestation to ensure compliance to set standards, meeting requirements, and identification of improvement opportunities.
- Input to database strategy development relating to building a reliable IESO computer infrastructure.
- Act as a consultant or mentor to associates to advance their learning and facilitate their problem solving skills within their respective areas of expertise.
- Perform other duties as required.
Require a knowledge of relational and non-relational database management systems, data analysis, database design (logical and physical) and general IT infrastructure. Requires a knowledge of technical writing to prepare effective reports.
This knowledge is considered to be normally acquired either through the successful completion of a four-year University education in the appropriate field/discipline or by having the equivalent education.
Requires experience in the design, development and support of computer systems and infrastructure systems including:
- Database design and administration
- Computer system architecture, design and integration
- System Networking
- Administration and use of standard or proprietary computer operating systems
- Development of computer applications using standard development languages
- Support of small to large scale computer systems
A period of up 8 years working in an infrastructure role in a large team environment is considered necessary to gain this experience.
What the IESO Offers:
- Excellent communications and interpersonal skills (written and verbal)
- Strong analytical and reporting skills
- Extensive design and administration knowledge of Windows Server, Red Hat Enterprise Linux, Oracle RDBMS, and Microsoft SQL Server.
- Extensive MS Office skills in MS Word, MS Excel, MS Project, MS Visio, MS Access, and MS PowerPoint
- Ability to work in a team environment including open information sharing and mentoring of peers
- Deadline / deliverables oriented individual
- Demonstrates organizational skills and multi-tasking capability
- Demonstrates strong leadership qualities
- A strong personal commitment to customer needs and the needs of the Program
- A strong commitment to corporate and departmental objectives
- Competitive market wages
- Comprehensive benefit programs
- Programs and policies to support a balanced lifestyle
- A challenging fast-paced team environment
- Opportunity to work with some of the brightest people in the industry
Deadline for submitting your application is December 23, 2019 at 11:59 PM EST
While we appreciate your submissions, we regret that we can only contact those candidates selected for interviews.
We thank all candidates for their interest in opportunities with the IESO. Be sure to follow us on LinkedIn
The IESO is an equal opportunity employer.
Please note the successful candidate must be eligible to work in Canada and will be subject to a background check.