INDEPENDENT ELECTRICITY SYSTEM OPERATOR
Analyst, Operational Assessments
Location of Position: Mississauga
The Analyst, Operational Assessments will report to the Manager Operational Assessments
Work on the leading edge of the power industry, helping design and build a modern process for assessing the security and reliability of Ontario’s high voltage power system and market in real-time. Our company serves to optimize the utilization of system resources, expand transmission capability, and maximize the efficiency of the IESO Controlled Grid.
We are seeking a bright, talented and well-rounded team member with an excellent grasp of power system and market fundamentals. We are looking for an individual who has the ability to build relationships and deliver results in a fast paced environment. The position requires creative big picture thinking and knowing when to live in the details, as well as the ability to work with appropriate direction and eagerness to take on new challenges and initiatives.
Job Description (Key Responsibilities)
1. Assist in the development of appropriate processes to support Operations activities. Document process objectives, tasks, risks and controls in summary documentation (e.g. risk-control matrices).
2. On an on-going basis, review the effectiveness of existing Operations processes. Recommend, develop and implement effectiveness and efficiency improvements, as necessary.
3. Work with subject matter experts and senior department staff to produce business process documentations including procedural instructions for Operations activities. Ensure that the documentation is consistent with NERC standards, NPCC criteria, the market mles, relevant government regulations and other industry standards, and is consistent with IESO processes for managing controlled documents. Ensure that the documentation is appropriate for the audience (e.g. internal vs external manuals) and contains the appropriate level of detail.
4. Assist in the development of end user computing tools as necessary to support Operations tasks.
5. Maintain a current knowledge of Operations processes for the purposes of interpreting and assessing the priority of issues regarding Operations tools and processes.
6. Support senior department staff in perfomiing analysis by gathering and screening data, providing input where appropriate, and drafting related materials as assigned.
7. Prepare materials for meetings, reports and presentations made by senior operations staff. 8. Provide support, as required to other business units, agencies, and market participants.
9. Perform other duties as required.
Requires engineering knowledge of electrical theory, power system analysis and control, mathematics, computers science and the like to carry out engineering, economic or analytical studies related to the management and control of the bulk power system. Requires knowledge of technical writing to prepare effective reports.
This knowledge is considered to be normally acquired, either through the successful completion of a four year University education in an appropriate field/discipline or by having the equivalent education.
Requires experience such as might be gained in the energy industry to become familiar with the general system operation, organizational stmcture to establish a broad base of contacts. Requires experience to become familiar with the nature of studies and investigations carried out by the different sections and groups of the organization. Requires further on the job experience to become familiar with methods and practices associated with the work functions.
A period of over 4 years, up to and including 6 years is considered necessary to gain this expenence.
What the IESO Offers:
While we appreciate your submissions, we regret that we can only contact those candidates selected for interviews.
We thank all candidates for their interest in opportunities with the IESO. Be sure to follow us on LinkedIn.
The IESO is an equal opportunity employer.
Please note the successful candidate must be eligible to work in Canada and will be subject to a background check.