Senior Back-End Software Developer
At IDEO, our world-class multidisciplinary teams create innovative solutions to address core human needs. In order to do this, we work with the latest tools and technologies to support and experiment within all aspects of our design process—from research, to design, through implementation. Software Designers at IDEO work closely with small teams that could include interaction designers, design researchers, industrial designers, communication designers, electrical and mechanical engineers.
Software as a creative discipline
We believe software development is a creative discipline. Software Discipline colleagues are creative problem solvers who often employ unorthodox yet ingenious ways to push a design. They may hack a PC driving game to integrate with an automotive simulator, or they may collaborate with city organizations and data scientists to access, map and visualize raw energy usage data.
Why is this job important to IDEO?
Software developers are much more than implementers, they are key members of our design teams, responsible for creating and applying technologies in service of the user experience. As a trusted advisor within the team, this senior role assesses the feasibility of design directions, and explores and develops necessary technologies for them to be realized.
Following a “build to think” approach, software designers at IDEO bring our designs to life. Colleagues in this role will create and support software with a diverse range of fidelity; from rapid prototypes, designed to facilitate conversations with users, to fully-fledged, public software products. Software Design colleagues have the opportunity to explore projects that span mobile to desktop; wearables to interactive installations.
This senior position also serves as a trusted advisor to our clients, collaborating directly to ensure they are understood and empowered to champion the solutions we develop together. The credibility and integrity of this role is continually demonstrated through the evolving portfolio of his/her professional work and personal character.
Lastly, this position plays a crucial role in growing and nurturing our integrated software design and development teams at IDEO Chicago through craft leadership, mentoring and external professional relationships.
Once you are here you will...
Collaborate on a diverse variety of software and hardware based projects, including automotive simulators, medical devices, connected retail experiences and new startup ventures, such as:
Some previous projects to check out
- Developing within the automotive CAN bus to integrate and analyze real time driving data to design new driving experiences
- Creating tools to analyze energy customer usage data to raise customer awareness of their behaviors
- Recommending an application architecture to support a new mobile medical device and the additional tools to store, analyze and communicate the captured data to patients and their physicians
- Extending our hardware and software prototyping tools to allow for new service design solutions for connected retail experiences
- Zebra Zatar: IDEO designed the first user-centered, cloud-based platform for the enterprise – designing a simple, intuitive interface in concert with developing the supporting remote services.
- Food Genius: We tapped into food consumption data with our first startup-in-residence to design Food Genius Reports, a consumer and food industry trends dashboard.
- PNC Wealth Insight: After conducting deep field research with wealth managers, an IDEO team utilized real client data to create clear and concise visualizations that give investors the right level of insight.
- State Farm NextDoor: This IDEO-designed service includes several digital touchpoints which foster person-to-person interaction, including a tablet-based coaching app that helps customers create unique financial plans to follow over time, via a secure web interface.
This position assumes diverse, hands-on professional experience. We expect colleagues in this role to be quick learners, extremely disciplined, and demonstrate interest and aptitude by their proficiency in a variety of technologies, tools and languages. Additional characteristics include:
Application requirements and instructions
- Passionate, self-motivated, and an inspiring champion of software as a craft.
- Champion the craft of writing high quality software, and inspiring others in this belief.
- Enjoy developing alongside designers.
- Continually uncovering and sharing new developments.
- Comfortable working with a diverse set of colleagues (co-workers, clients and mentors) to complete a project.
- 10 or more years of experience developing production applications
Please share your Github repos, blog and/or website, and 3 projects that best represent your capabilities and interests.