Purpose & Overall Relevance for the Organisation
- Being an inspirational Senior Designer, who is responsible for creating industry leading design solutions in cooperation with our external partner
- Conceptualize and design ranges in the specific Category
- Maintain design consistency throughout the product line
- Help to create the overall category design direction
- Work closely with Marketing to understand opportunities in the market and the category's strategic 3 year business plan
- Work closely with Production, Tech Services, and Product Testing to resolve product issues from design packages through commercialization
- Work with factories and suppliers
- Research functional criteria for product and outline area of innovation
- Create professional level presentations of ideas; from loose sketch to detailed renderings to full computerized tech pack
- Maintain communication with superiors, and ensure the message is understood within the team
- Insure proper compliance of brand identity marks and usage on product
- Keep abreast of luggage trends happening in the market. Shopped the stores to see what other brands are doing. If the trend is appropriate for our customer, also finding a way to interpret that trend for Icon
- Conceive and sketch concepts according to design calendar. Sketched technical drawings for presentations and also for factory use
- Collect inspirational materials (photographs, fabrics, etc.) for presentations to sales and merchandising. Purchased magazines and visited stores for images
- Meet with suppliers to see new materials. Picked materials of interest and requested swatches and colors
- Attend material shows to see new materials and components. Requested samples of interesting materials
- Follow thru sampling process and advise changes or corrections as needed to achieve a quality product. Made corrections to improve the aesthetic of the design
- Communicate necessary information to factory
- Ability to travel overseas if necessary to make corrections on prototypes
- Keep aware of the direction competitors are taking for their product.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of functional luggage products.
- Ability to design for new initiatives and create products with a fresh, innovative perspective.
- Mac skills using Illustrator, Adobe Professional and Photo Shop applications.
- Ability to communicate effectively with cross-functional teams at all levels within the organization.
- Ability to influence and collaborate with key business partners.
- Strong conceptual thinking and ability to drive concepts.
- Knowledge of design and material trends, specifically luggage trends.
- Ability to create designs that meet luggage category needs and commercial opportunities.
- Ability to effectively present design ideas and concepts.
- Ability to operate in a fast paced, ever changing work environment
Requisite Education and Experience / Minimum Qualifications
- Bachelor degree (B.A.) from four-year college or university in design and four years related experience and /or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Minimum 5 years practical experience in design
- Fluent in English (spoken and written)
- Knowledge of luggage styles and different parts of luggage
- Knowledge of different materials used in luggage production
- Good sketching ability
- Ability to see how a 2-D sketch could translate into a 3-D form
- Ability to mix materials and colors for an attractive product
- Understand color pallets and theories
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $50,000.00 to $80,000.00 /year
- United States (Preferred)