Working at ICF
Working at ICF means applying a passion for meaningful work with intellectual rigor to help solve the leading issues of our day. Smart, compassionate, innovative, committed, ICF employees tackle unprecedented challenges to benefit people, businesses, and governments around the globe. We believe in collaboration, mutual respect, open communication, and opportunity for growth. If you’re seeking to make a difference in the world, visit www.icf.com/careers to find your next career. ICF—together for tomorrow.
Reporting to the Sr. Director, Technology- the Lead Back End Developer is part of a collaborative team which strategizes innovative solutions for our clients/prospective clients, and actively participates in the implementation of digital solutions involving platform and server side integrations.
- A Mentor, you lead by example and challenge other to push their boundaries
- A Self-Starter, you’re an expert in your field but still eager to improve your skillset in the ever-evolving medium of the web.
- Analytical, there are many ways to solve the problem and you consider each solution, you make even the biggest problems seem simple.
- Passionate about performance, optimization and scalability gets you excited!
- An effective communicator, you have the charisma to command attention, strategize and problem-solve on your feet when needed with internal and external team members
Your Key Responsibilities:
Here’s what you’ll be doing day to day…
- Implement: Develop and implement digital technology solutions with appropriate software design methodology in a dynamic and faced paced team environment.
- Lead: be the technical project lead on large and medium scale projects. This includes selection and review of technology frameworks/architecture to be used on projects.
- Requirements: work with Project Manager and other team members to break down project requirements into development tasks. Help provide scopes/estimates.
- Mentor: Mentor junior developers/contractors, provide feedback during 1 on 1 meetings.
- Code Reviews: Enforce best practices, code guidelines and ensure code quality is up to standards.
- Documentation: participate in the discovery of new projects and document technical requirements as needed.
- Communicate: share knowledge and thought leadership to the rest of the organization, including strategic technical direction as well as professional development opportunities.
Your Experience & Intangible traits:
The ideal candidate for the Lead Back End Developer position will possess the following competencies:
- 7+ years of hands-on development experience, including a thorough understanding of applications architecture.
- 3+ years agency technology experience or equivalent
- Bachelor’s degree in computer engineering, computer science, management information systems, mathematics or equivalent.
- Proven leadership experience
- Ability to define conceptual technology solution and articulate the value of technology to drive creative marketing platforms and present technology solutions to both technical and non-technical clients.
- Ability to methodically estimate technology execution scope of work in terms of budget and resources
- Ability to leverage existing technology tools plus additionally research and apply new and experimental technologies to achieve business goals
- Experience with enterprise focus on security, availability, flexibility, scalability, infrastructure configuration and change management
- Experience with at least one enterprise grade Content Management System (Adobe AEM, Sitecore CMS, Episerver, etc.)
- Experience in mentoring junior developers
- Communication skills
- Ability to translate client goals into achievable technical specifications
- Experience visualizing enterprise architectures through conceptual and architectural schematics
- Ability to engage internal and external audiences through charismatic presentation
- Ability to work within various internal groups to drive technology change
- Applications Architecture Skills
- Object-oriented design and design patterns
- Database design proficiency with MySQL, MSSQL, Oracle or equivalent
- ORM libraries
- Database diagramming
- Systems diagramming
- Service-oriented architectures
- Enterprise service buses
- Emerging technologies including Cloud platforms and services
- Experience with multiple software development life cycles
- Lean/Agile planning
- Experience creating architectural concepts and executing integrating systems design using:
- Social Graph
- User-generated content
- Third Party APIs
- Specific technology skills include:
- Java, J2EE, C#, .NET or equivalent
- Digital media delivery (video, audio, images)
- Mobile, Tablet and Web implementation experience
- Mobile technologies (iOS, Android, etc.)
- CMS (Sitecore, Adobe AEM, Drupal, or other)
- At least one object oriented language, one procedural and Ruby/Python or similar
- One SQL database technology (MySQL, Microsoft SQL server, Oracle)
- ORM (hibernate, n-hibernate, etc)
- Task/bug tracking software
- Continuous integration (Bamboo, Cruise Control, Jenkins, other)
Why you’ll love working here:
- Full health benefits (100% dental, short term and long term disability)
- Generous vacation and retirement plans
- Employee support program
- A brand new cell phone, with upgrades every 24 months (we’ve got your phone bill covered, too)
- Ongoing training and development opportunities, peer-taught lunch and learns and outside workshops like Ladies Learning Code
- Catered Friday lunches
- Loaded snack cupboards
- Office-ping pong and foosball tables, plus the latest and greatest video games
- Friendly community with lots of social events – from boat cruises to volleyball tournaments
- Participation in charity initiatives
Like what you see and think you’re a perfect fit? Apply today.
Please be assured we’ll treat any information you share with us with the utmost care, only use your information for recruitment purposes and will never sell it to other companies for marketing purposes. Please review https://www.icf.com/legal/Canada-privacy-statement to view ICF’s Privacy Statement for more details.
We thank all candidates in advance for their application, but only those contacted for an interview will receive a reply.
At ICF Olson, we are committed to fostering an inclusive, accessible environment, where all employees feel valued, respected and supported. ICF Olson is committed to providing accommodations. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.
Toronto, Canada (CD80)