ICBC is committed to delivering consistently high quality customer service to all British Columbians. If you are interested in
receiving a competitive salary, doing meaningful work, contributing to an inclusive and respectful workplace and are a
responsible and reliable team member, we invite you to apply to join us at ICBC. Drive your career with us.
ICBC is committed to being an inclusive employer, one that reflects the diversity of the people and communities of British
Technical Support Specialist
Technical Support Specialist Reference Number: 113101
North Vancouver Employment Type: Permanent Full Time
Hours of Work:
7.5 hr Day Shift (M-F) Posted Date: 2020/01/09
The IS Technology Operations Centre team strives to reduce both the duration and impact of outages of ICBC systems through
effective monitoring, timely and high-quality communication and alerting, and consistently tracking incident progress. The
Technology Operations Centre (TOC) team provides support 24/7.
Our technical environment of distributed servers, COTS systems and Mainframes is rapidly becoming more complex as multiple
technologies work together to deliver each service, i.e., delivering a successful transaction in our new claims system relies on
multiple integrated technologies.
As a Technical Support Specialist within the TOC team, you will provide support for ICBC's computing platforms: monitoring
system queues, responding to system, capacity and performance issues, ensuring systems, databases, and transactions are up
and functioning as per Service Level Agreements.
Your key deliverables:
- Responding to system alerts and performing advanced troubleshooting with a focus to minimize the need for escalating to
- Coordinate system recovery, escalation and maintain incident logs during high impact system outages;
- Providing support and maintenance for Infrastructure systems (Servers, Mainframe, Network, Storage, Desktops, Database,)
including making system changes; restarting services and applying software patches, updates and fixes; applying regular
security patches; and performing network switch/router configuration, operating system upgrades, and software enhancements.
To make an immediate contribution to the team, you will bring demonstrated experience:
- Working with complex distributed systems and technologies and related infrastructure components and drawing on your deep
technical expertise and understanding of integration points and dependencies to troubleshoot and resolve non-standard or
unique issues, often without procedures and documentation;
- Utilizing privileged access to make configuration changes and implement system upgrades, system settings and parameters.
This critical activity must execute flawlessly and not impact systems availability, data integrity and customer experience;
- Diagnosing complex problems using advanced monitoring tools such as OpNet, SPlunk, Nagios, SCOM and Akips;
- Building strong working relationships, understanding sources of expertise, and collaborating effectively to resolve complex
- Preparing support documentation for new systems and non-standard problems across all applications, technologies and
You will have an intermediate level of experience trouble shooting infrastructure systems issues in a sizeable computer
operations environment. Your experience is supported with post-secondary education in a computer related field, and a passion
for getting to the root and resolving technical problems.
The hours of operation are twenty-four hours per day, Sunday to Saturday. Employees work a 9 hour work day and rotate
through three shifts:
7:00am to 16:00
14:00 to 23:00
22:30 to 07:30
Employees will generally be scheduled to work four day shifts followed by three days off, then four night shifts followed by four
days off, and then four afternoon shifts followed by three days off. Employees will receive an 8.5% shift premium. There are
opportunities for Overtime.