Corning is one of the world's leading innovators in materials science. For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its unparalleled expertise in specialty glass, ceramics, and optical physics to develop products that have created new industries and transformed people's lives.
Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, a unique combination of material and process innovation, and close collaboration with customers to solve tough technology challenges.
Corning's Manufacturing, Technology and Engineering division (MTE) is recognized as the leader in engineering excellence & innovative manufacturing technologies by providing diverse skills to Corning's existing & emerging businesses.
We anticipate & provide timely, valued, leading edge manufacturing technologies and engineering expertise. We partner with Corning's businesses and the Science & Technology division. Together we create and sustain Corning's manufacturing as a differential advantage.
WHAT YOU WILL BE DOING
Subject Matter Expert participating in software engineering projects and HPC science projects to provide software development and modeling support to Corning technology community and to enable effective innovation, process and product development and competitive advantage of Corning products.
Day to day Responsibilities
- Work independently or as part of the team on various aspects of research software engineering:
- New Corning product prototypes;
- Professional support of internal R,D, E&M tools;
- Software development support of Corning products;
- New Corning internal R, D & E information products.
- Assist in identifying software development opportunities and converting them into projects as appropriate.
- Write and maintain relevant support documentation.
- Prepare and deliver relevant user training.
- Participate in collaboration with Montreal universities and technology incubator firms.
- BSc+ in computer science, mathematics, data science, physics, engineering or related discipline.
- 2+ years of software development, data science or modeling experiences, preferably, in scientific computing or HPC fields.
- Strong programming skills in one or several mainstream languages such as C, Java., Python, C++, C#, or Fortran (C is highly desirable).
- A foundation in software design principles and an ability to design and create code as necessary.
- Background in or familiarity with one or more scientific disciplines (e.g. physics, chemistry, or engineering) and some knowledge of data science.
- Ability to communicate with and understand the complex requirements of scientists, engineers and professional staff in the deployment of scientific computing solutions.
- Working knowledge of Linux and Windows operating systems.
- Ability to analyze, optimize and debug scientific code.
- Experience with agile development approaches, automated unit testing / test-first design.
- Experience with revision control systems (e.g., Git).
- Knowledge of scripting languages (e.g., Python) and any other programming languages (e.g., HTML, Java Script, and PHP).
- Familiarity with Microsoft Visual Studio (and .NET or WPF).
- Knowledge of databases and SQL.
- Working knowledge in data science and capability for independently preparing data (ETL functions of cleaning, consolidating, transforming data) for machine learning purposes.
- Knowledge of mathematical and statistical computing programming languages (MATLAB, R).
- Experience compiling and running codes on high-performance computers.
- Knowledge of MPI, OpenMP, or other parallel/distributed computing paradigms.
- Experience providing user support or code development support in scientific computing environment.
- Experience working with cloud-based services such as AWS and Azure.
- Knowledge of Android, iOS mobile platforms.
- Familiarity with FPGA.
- Leadership skills and ability to create positive work environment is a plus.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and ability to work as a team player are required.
- Proactive and solution-oriented problem solver.
- Customer focused and committed to helping engineers & researchers and projects to be successful.
- Ability to bridge gaps between "domain" language (engineering, science) and "computing solution" language.
- Ability to undertake multi-projects.
- Clear dedication to excellence and advancing beyond the current state.
- Strong personal motivation.
TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS Individual may travel multiple times per year for one to two weeks per visit to other Corning locations or customers (domestic and international) or to pursue training opportunities (conferences, classes).
LOCATION Montréal (Ville St-Laurent), Québec
TYPE Permanent, Full time