There has never been a better time to join IBM. And, as we undergo a company-wide transformation that brings us back to our legacy as a design-led organization, there has never been a more exciting time to be a Designer at IBM.
Follow in the footsteps of Eliot Noyes, Charles and Rae Eames, Isamu Noguchi, Paul Rand and the many iconic designers who both worked for and established the legendary brand that we know today. As part of IBM Interactive Experience — an emerging business line focused on envisioning, creating and inventing next-gen consumer experiences — you will be at the forefront of user experience innovation.
Visual Designers at IBM iX build complex systems and experiences from dynamic interfaces to large systematic websites. They work on a design from concept to execution in order to create and iterate on assets that reflect a brand, enforce a language to inject beauty, functionality and life into a product.
IBM Global Business Services (GBS) is hiring a hands-on Visual Designer
to join our IBM Interactive Experience (iX) team in New York City, NY.
A visual designer relies on user-centered design principles and best practices to produce high-quality visuals such as: user interfaces for multiple platforms, illustration, typography, photography, icons, data visualization, style guides, personas, journey maps, storyboards and scenarios.
- Take ownership and pride in your work, but also embrace a diverse, multi-disciplinary approach on projects.
- Think big - express a brand’s personality and values experientially, stretching into new territory that goes beyond messaging and style.
- Ensure that a consistent visual language is applied throughout a project and work throughout implementation with developers.
Thrive where complex business goals, product design and development, interaction design, current and emerging technologies, marketing and brand strategy converge.
Whether the goal is to enable effortless mobile transactions or to envision and create spectacular, memorable experiences that converge digital with physical, you know how to balance stakeholder needs, and work selflessly to ensure that decisions are always made in the interest of the optimal user experience.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
Preferred Tech and Prof Experience
- At least 5 years of hands-on experience in design projects.
At least 3 years of experience in areas such as customer strategy, user research, information architecture, customer experience design, product design or other similar areas.
At least 5 years of experience in leading small/medium-sized projects, including ability to navigate scope, work with large teams and present ideas to clients
At least 5 years of experience in client services
Thorough knowledge of user-centered design principles and traditional design principles, with expertise in how to apply them within a visual design system.
Experience working in Agile environments
Online design portfolio for review
Skills & Tools
- Experience at digital marketing and advertising agencies or startups a plus.
- Proficiency in designing for Web, mobile, wearables, digital interfaces embedded in physical environments. Skilled in interface design, branding and identity strategy, illustration, photography, data visualization, iconography, user experience, prototyping, art direction.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and familiarity with technical constraints and limitations of ever evolving platforms and technology.
- Design & Prototyping tools: Sketch, InVision Photoshop, Adobe CC, Axure, Keynote, PowerPoint.
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.