Recognized as a “Manufacturing Marvel”, “National Best and the Brightest” and featured on “Wall Street Journal” for its innovation in training program- these are some of the many accolades that have defined Hu-Friedy and has given the company the global reputation of the gold standard in dental instrumentation.
Underlying our global success is our well-defined culture that has helped shape the success of our company. A culture that is defined by the collaboration and our core values of Teamwork, Respect, Integrity, Excellence, Reliability and Social Responsibility, these are behaviors that are in practice at Hu-Friedy and continue to shape the success of our business on a daily basis.
Our 10,000 dental instruments and products are sold in over 100 countries, and we have close to 1000 employees representing and growing our brand around the world with offices in Frankfurt, Milan, Shanghai and Tokyo, and a sales force across 30 different countries.
We are currently seeking a Graphic Designer to be based in our Chicago office.
Summary of Position
This position executes concepts for all Hu-Friedy marketing materials based on approved strategic direction. Designs, prepares layouts, presents for approval and manages printing or audio-visual production of approved concepts for greatest effectiveness. Works under minimal supervision, carries out design and production assignments of a routine to moderately complex nature exercising moderate latitude in the use of initiative and independent judgment.
- Creates and executes concepts for all Hu-Friedy marketing materials (national and co-op ads, direct mail, brochures, sales and training aides; flyers, newsletters, catalogs, price lists, interactive media, etc.) based on approved strategic direction.
- Designs, prepares layouts, presents for approval, and manages print production and printing of approved concepts for greatest effectiveness.
- Prepares layouts for all other Hu-Friedy visual communications, including corporate graphics.
- Provides graphics for web site and new web pages and uploads as needed
- Collects and provides photographic images and graphics for print vendors and dealer print materials
- Understands and uses digital file organizational and backup system
- Stays current on popular culture, design trends and design technology
- Interacts with Marketing Specialists, Marketing Groups and Sales Team to provide creative direction and refine all creative materials
- Supports Mac network, software and hardware and manages maintenance and upgrades
- Understands and supports ISO procedures
- Maintains relationships with existing vendors and identified potential new vendors
- Working knowledge of print and production, vendor management
- Comprehend projects at a high level to anticipate and avoid potential roadblocks
- Proven ability to work as a member of an integrated team and independently in an open office environment
- Compose design presentations that are both verbally and visually compelling
- Complete other duties as assigned
Functional Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
This position requires an individual with:
- Minimum 2 years' experience in graphic design
- Undergraduate degree or equivalent work experience required. BFA preferred
- A portfolio showing strong aptitude for graphic design with emphasis on print production
- An intermediate proficiency in the following Mac applications: QuarkXPress, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Acrobat, InDesign. Some experience with Microsoft PowerPoint, Word and Excel helpful.
- Knowledge of printing process (4C, B/W), print production, file preparation and typesetting technique
- Knowledge of photography preferred
- Knowledge of HTML and CSS with a solid understanding of web standards
- Ability to multitask and manage own time, working on several projects at one, often with tight deadlines and with careful attention to detail
- Strong knowledge of print and web production
- Experience in data visualization and infographics
- Knowledge of social media and web browser platforms.
Hu-Friedy is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age or any other protected characteristic. The EEO is the Law poster is available here .