Hearst Magazines Digital Media (HMDM) is seeking an Editorial Designer to join the creative team working on the visual design for the soon-to-launch Oprahmag.com site, an extension of O the Oprah Magazine, and all of its social media extensions.
This position will report in to the Creative Director of HMDM and will work closely with the digital director and editors of Oprahmag.com to create visual design that furthers the storytelling on site and key social channels such as Facebook, Instagram and Twitter. The designer will create and maintain a central style guide and templates for social and site needs, communicate the daily design direction, and build out the more conceptual styling for larger features and digital packages. In this position, you will work in a fast-paced environment and in close partnership with story editors, photo editors, illustrators and other designers to create best-in-class visuals.
- Create style guides, mood boards, infographics, logos/marks and all other design elements for digital-first features
- Work on projects from concept to post-production, making sure we meet brand standards and timelines
- Collaborate with editors to design visuals that tell a story and drive engagement
- Study the marketplace, assessing where OprahMag.com work stands against competitors’ and ensure that we are ahead of the curve
- Create motion-driven assets, both in video and short-form
- Drive constant improvement around quality, capabilities, and creative innovation
- At least 5 years experience as a digital designer, producing shareable, digital-friendly content in desktop-, mobile- and social-friendly formats
- Experience with creating conceptual infographics that combine data, copy and images in eye-catching and easy-to-understand packaging
- Excellent at using typography and type design
- Master of Adobe CS design applications
- General proficiency in Adobe After Effects and Premiere
- Great at creative problem-solving and adapting to feedback and evolving needs
- Familiarity with pop culture, fashion and beauty trends, current events and how people engage with them online