Handshake is looking for a data analytics intern to join our team. The ideal candidate is a critical thinker with strong communication skills, who will assist in product development for an exciting new software offering by our firm. The candidate will also gain familiarity in media and geospatial analysis to support the work of our clients and showcase research by our team on an AI-driven web application we have developed this past year.
At Handshake, we strive to foster personal and professional growth through our internship program and know that our work together is a two-way street. We are invested in supporting, teaching, and learning from our interns. Projects for the internship span from client-facing to assisting in the development of our products. This position requires an individual to contribute to team efforts, requiring flexibility, a strong work ethic, and the ability to work independently.
Director of Research
Main Tasks and Responsibilities
- Conducting research through a variety of platforms and databases, such as Thomson Reuters EIKON/Refinitiv, Meltwater, and Quid (all of which you will receive in depth training)
- Delivering multiple projects with varying levels of collaboration across the firm, often involving primary and secondary research and critical analysis
- Managing and utilizing Handshake's internal databases as well as supporting their ongoing development
- Participating in weekly Sprint calls with our development team
- When appropriate, engaging directly with clients and/or outside experts used to support our work with clients
- Ensuring timely delivery of well-written, insightful, and highly organized research materials
Education, Experience, and Key Competencies
- Enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program in computer science, statistics, data analytics-focused discipline
- Strong organizational, writing, research, and interpersonal skills
- Proficiency in Python; experience with R or PHP a bonus
- Demonstrated superior analytic and communication (written and verbal) skills, and ability to work in a fast-paced and demanding environment, be resourceful and continuously learn and apply new skills quickly
- Proven degree of maturity and experience shouldering responsibility
- Flexible and curious mentality
- Enthusiastic, roll-up-your-sleeves team member
- Entrepreneurial or remote work experience a plus
- Willing to submit professional and personal references
Primarily remote with weekly meetings at Handshake's Washington, D.C. office located in Georgetown.
For-credit or paid by a stipend award. Preference will be discussed at the time of interview.
How to Apply
Please send your resume, including your reason for interest in this internship, to Rachel Dolan at Rachel@handshake.co. A writing prompt will be provided at that time.