Flatiron is currently hiring a number of Field Engineers. We are seeking highly motivated individuals who have the drive and desire to work in a fast-paced, heavy civil construction environment.
Initially, you will assigned to support our estimating group in either Richmond, BC or Calgary, AB and as opportunities arise, you will transition into a field operations role located within Canada. By following this path, you will be offered the unique opportunity to contribute to the success of projects from conception all the way through to construction completion, and you will be exposed to a wide variety of exciting projects.
Duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Review proposal specifications, drawings, attend pre-bid meetings, etc. to determine scope of work and required contents of estimate;
- Review schedule of projects being estimated;
- Assist in acquiring necessary plans, reviewing and interpreting specifications, and performing take-offs for change orders for the scope of work;
- Maintain files of working documents as back-up for estimate figures, including current (accurate) information on prices from suppliers and subcontractors;
- Assist in bids, selecting of vendors and/or subcontractors;
- Assist in reviewing design options and recommend best solution based on cost, engineering quality, or availability of materials;
- Partner with estimators to turn project over to production team;
- Prepare work plans, assure quality control, manage and track costs and materials, schedule equipment, administer safety programs, and maintain exceptional relations with owners;
- Perform quantity take-offs and consistently record, track and maintain quantities within the cost control system;
- Perform field layouts and provide survey assistance as required;
- Review project budget and schedule and confer with the Project Manager and Project Engineer concerning project requirements; such as plan preparation, acceptance testing, evaluations of field conditions, design changes, and reports;
- Assist in development of design/drawings for temporary works
- Analyze shop drawings, as-builts, and other contract required documents to ensure completeness and accuracy;
- Develop and maintain excellent working relationships with the owner, subcontractors and intercompany departments;
- Must be flexible in assignment location and able to accept work on temporary assignment in various locations.
- Recent graduate with a degree in Construction Management, Civil Engineering, or a related discipline;
- Experience in a construction and/or engineering environment is desired (coop/intern experience is acceptable);
- Must be willing to travel and/or relocate as required;
- Ability to freely access all points of a construction site in wide-ranging climates and environments;
- Beginner knowledge of construction equipment and techniques, drawing and specifications, building materials and required standards applicable to the project;
- Proficient knowledge of Microsoft Office (Excel and Word);
- Beginner knowledge of AutoCAD and/or HCSS Heavy Bid Estimating Software is an asset;
- Strong work ethic – highly motivated and willing to do what it takes to get the job done right;
- Strong organizational and time management skills;
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
Please note for field assignments, pre-access drug and alcohol test may be required.