FirstOntario Credit Union is one of the largest credit unions in Ontario. We are a trusted co-operative financial intuition dedicated to providing competitive banking products and services and a quality Member service. More than 118,000 Ontarians choose FirstOntario for their financial needs - from chequing and savings accounts to loans and mortgages and highly qualified investment advice. Our Membership does more than save you money on fees, it also makes you an Owner. At FirstOntario, we believe the best way to ensure our success is by supporting the communities we serve. That's why our policies include volunteering our time, talent and resources to worthy local causes and events. It's also why we reinvest our profits in the same places they're earned, and why we sponsor programs that promote financial literacy and economic development.
The Director, Credit Process & Policy oversees all aspects of Retail and Commercial credit policy and process. The Director, Credit Process & Policy will provide strategic direction on the development and maintenance of market relevant policies & programs with the view to simplify and balance risk with opportunity taking into consideration our member needs, regulatory requirements, and the competitive landscape. They are also responsible for the provision of outstanding service in credit related activities and development of new and innovative approaches and efficiencies within credit management.
In the role, you will...
- Be responsible for driving efficiencies and effectiveness within the Credit Risk Management Policy and be a key resource to the Chief Risk Officer (CRO) for establishing and controlling effective guardrails within the Lending businesses
- Manage the development, enhancement and maintenance of Policies in collaboration with Credit Risk, Operational Risk and Securitization and various other departments within the organization
- Provide subject matter expertise to business processes in regards to digitization, securitization and personal, business banking, payments & collection operations to design and implement end-to-end product processes that ensures the effective and efficient delivery of products
- Be involved in the review, management, approval and administration of Credit, making recommendations where required
- Manage and maintain policies to optimize risk/return, including leading the development of tools, methods to support the achievement of the business agenda and to ensure all regulatory requirements are met
- Maintain and update credit policies to ensure processes meet the requirements of lending adjudication and risk management
- Provide guidance and support to ensure staff adhere to FCU operating standards and work within the risk management policies, procedures and pricing practices
- Provide coaching, advice and adjudication decisions for loans within LOA approval limits for all escalated loans
- Responsible for back-up adjudication, driving process efficiencies, policy changes and advising on deals, collection activities and supporting other departments throughout FirstOntario Credit Union
- Research opportunities and assist with development of new technologies, processes and innovations to ensure FirstOntario is well positioned to deliver services that improve member experience and profitability while protecting member assets
- Be a natural mentor and coach who supports the continuous growth of the Credit team to ensure success
- Obtain buy-in by conducting and attending regular meetings and by establishing a collaborative, positive and communicative team environment
- Consider health & safety as a primary concern to ensure the overall well-being of your team and members
- Other duties as assigned
Within your skills and qualifications, you will...
- Have sound business acumen from a post-secondary degree or diploma in Business or related field or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Have eight to ten (8 to 10) years of Commercial Credit lending and adjudication experience
- Be well versed in the Credit Union regulatory environment
- Be extremely knowledgeable about Credit Process and Policy and establishing controls and documentation that support an environment of success
- Be extremely knowledgeable about Credit services (Retail, Small Business, Commercial), staying ahead of market changes and leading best practices in Commercial Credit services
- Have well-versed people management skills and possess a team building leadership style that is effective in coaching, developing, retaining and motivating a team to deliver on excellent service; experience supporting a unionized workforce is considered an asset
- Utilize data analytics to create meaningful reports and confidently present findings to business partners that will enable them to make informed decisions
- Have strong analytical thinking, process management, risk management, customer-centric thinking, and contract knowledge
- Work smart by managing multiple priorities with strict deadlines
- Welcome problems where you can utilize your solution focused thinking
- Be quick to respond to requests for service from all of your internal clients
- Demonstrate a high level of integrity, confidentiality and trustworthiness
- Be more than approachable with your superior interpersonal, communication, and presentation skills
- Be extremely comfortable using a computer particularly MS Office and credit adjudication software
- Use your courage to take action in difficult and challenging situations and deal with uncertainty
- Be detail-oriented, analytical, use good judgment and have an incredible passion for ensuring the accuracy of numerical data and cost-effective use of company budget dollars
- Be aware of and mitigate enterprise risk factors and ensure compliance with applicable regulations, legislation and FirstOntario policies and procedures
- Be willing to work flexible hours to accommodate business need, networking and community involvement
Our emphasis on service means we're constantly searching for new team members whose dedication to helping people is as powerful as their ambition to succeed. We're committed to providing professional development, and to extending employee activities beyond day-to-day operations to support the communities where we're located. Our people are the difference, it's a part of why we love coming to work.
If this sparks your interest and you demonstrate high levels of integrity and credibility, we should talk. Check out our website for the full job description and prepare your cover letter and resume listing your experience, qualifications, and submit it online through our careers page on the company website.
We appreciate all who express interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.
FirstOntario Credit Union will provide accommodations for persons with disabilities, where needed, to support their participation in our recruitment process.
- Vision care
- Dental care
- Extended health care
- On-site parking
- Employee assistance programs
- Vacation & paid time off
- Life insurance
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- Commercial Credit lending and adjudication: 6 years (Required)
- management: 5 years (Required)