First Canada, our nation's largest provider of bus passenger transportation, has openings for casual, on call Handydart drivers. A class 1, 2 or 4 UNRESTRICTED drivers license is required for this position.
• Conduct pre-and post-trip inspections to ensure proper operating condition of vehicle and onboard equipment
• Prepare daily vehicle inspection reports detailing pre-and post-trip inspection results
• Communicate vehicle defects, both minor and major, immediately to dispatch and/or maintenance personnel
• Successfully perform scheduled manifest by picking up all clients on time and delivering them to their destinations safely and within a reasonable time frame
• Ensuring the safety of all passengers by use of appropriate on-board restraints for wheelchairs and other mobility aids
•Ensure safe and clean vehicle condition at the start and end of each shift
•Communicate effectively with dispatch or central office personnel via two-way radio, mobile data computer or other company provided technology
•Adjust to variables in normal working conditions, including adverse weather, traffic and construction, passenger problems, vehicle accidents and trip changes
•Provide excellent customer service including assistance in loading and unloading, supplying information, and responding appropriately in the event of emergency
•Employ all defensive driving techniques and safety policies to eliminate preventable and nonpreventable accidents and passenger injuries
•Communication of and adherence to Injury Prevention (IP) standards
•Protect passengers and secure vehicle in the event of accident or injury, and communicate effectively with dispatch and operations staff as directed by the accident and incident safety policies
•Maintain a safe work area and a focus on safety to reduce the opportunity for injury to self or others
•Diffuse difficult situations and maintain order onboard vehicle
•Document thoroughly the course of the day including odometer readings, times, and passenger information using mobile data computer or manifest depending on circumstance
•Accurately collect and reconcile cash fares collected from customers
•Team player and helpful to staff, management and peers
•Maintain professional demeanor and appearance
•Demonstrate regular and consistent attendance and punctuality in compliance with the company attendance policy
•Performs other related duties as required
EXPERIENCE & KNOWLEDGE:
• MUST HAVE A CLASS 1, 2 or CLASS 4 UNRESTRICTED Drivers License
• Ability to read, write and speak the English language clearly
• Knowledge of the HandyDART service area
• Ability to navigate the service area through using maps and/or on-board directional equipment
• Ability to communicate effectively with passengers, passenger representatives and agency staff
• Ability to remain calm and manage emergency situations, and ensure the safety of all passengers and employees
• Data entry experience and general knowledge of windows-based computer applications
• Knowledge of client and service operating requirements
• Ability to communicate effectively and work with all departments.
• Ability to safely operate company equipment including lifts and all other safety devices
• Ability to work independently and objectively
• Must deal politely with the public
• Must have an ability to develop and maintain a good working relationship with other employees
• Must conduct ones’ self calmly and efficiently in a stressful situation
• Ability to plan ahead and schedule work
• Must be able to work flexible hours and on weekends
• Must have reliable transportation to and from work
• Transit environment: Shift work may be required.
• Transporting passengers in a cutaway style bus.
• Able to push clients in wheelchairs up ramps.
First Canada is an equal opportunity employer that welcomes a diverse workforce. We encourage applications from women, persons with a disability, Aboriginal peoples and members of a visible minority.