First Canada, our nation's largest provider of bus passenger transportation, has openings for casual, on call Handydart drivers. A class 1, 2 or 4 UNRESTRICTED drivers license is required for this position.
- Conduct pre-and post-trip inspections to ensure proper operating condition of vehicle and onboard equipment
- Prepare daily vehicle inspection reports detailing pre-and post-trip inspection results
- Communicate vehicle defects, both minor and major, immediately to dispatch and/or maintenance personnel
- Successfully perform scheduled manifest by picking up all clients on time and delivering them to their destinations safely and within a reasonable time frame
- Ensuring the safety of all passengers by use of appropriate on-board restraints for wheelchairs and other mobility aids
- Ensure safe and clean vehicle condition at the start and end of each shift
- Communicate effectively with dispatch or central office personnel via two-way radio, mobile data computer or other company provided technology
- Adjust to variables in normal working conditions, including adverse weather, traffic and construction, passenger problems, vehicle accidents and trip changes
- Provide excellent customer service including assistance in loading and unloading, supplying information, and responding appropriately in the event of emergency
- Employ all defensive driving techniques and safety policies to eliminate preventable and nonpreventable accidents and passenger injuries
- Communication of and adherence to Injury Prevention (IP) standards
- Protect passengers and secure vehicle in the event of accident or injury, and communicate effectively with dispatch and operations staff as directed by the accident and incident safety policies
- Maintain a safe work area and a focus on safety to reduce the opportunity for injury to self or others
- Diffuse difficult situations and maintain order onboard vehicle
- Document thoroughly the course of the day including odometer readings, times, and passenger information using mobile data computer or manifest depending on circumstance
- Accurately collect and reconcile cash fares collected from customers
- Team player and helpful to staff, management and peers
- Maintain professional demeanor and appearance
- Demonstrate regular and consistent attendance and punctuality in compliance with the company attendance policy
- Performs other related duties as required
EXPERIENCE & KNOWLEDGE:
- MUST HAVE A CLASS 1, 2 or CLASS 4 UNRESTRICTED Drivers License
- Ability to read, write and speak the English language clearly
- Knowledge of the HandyDART service area
- Ability to navigate the service area through using maps and/or on-board directional equipment
- Ability to communicate effectively with passengers, passenger representatives and agency staff
- Ability to remain calm and manage emergency situations, and ensure the safety of all passengers and employees
- Data entry experience and general knowledge of windows-based computer applications
- Knowledge of client and service operating requirements
- Ability to communicate effectively and work with all departments.
- Ability to safely operate company equipment including lifts and all other safety devices
- Ability to work independently and objectively
- Must deal politely with the public
- Must have an ability to develop and maintain a good working relationship with other employees
- Must conduct ones’ self calmly and efficiently in a stressful situation
- Ability to plan ahead and schedule work
- Must be able to work flexible hours and on weekends
- Must have reliable transportation to and from work
- Transit environment: Shift work may be required.
- Transporting passengers in a cutaway style bus.
- Able to push clients in wheelchairs up ramps.
First Canada is an equal opportunity employer that welcomes a diverse workforce. We encourage applications from women, persons with a disability, Aboriginal peoples and members of a visible minority.