Under the general supervision of the CFO, Controller or Assistant Controller, this position supports multiple nonprofit back-office accounting clients as provided by FASS's back-office accounting services. The position applies principles of accounting and financial analysis in order to maintain the general accounting systems; reconcile general ledger accounts, prepare journal entries, maintain balance sheet schedules, prepare financial statements, provide payroll and billing / grant billing functions, develop budgets, financial and variance analysis, and perform other duties as required.
This position can offer flexible hours.
- Perform complete month-end and year-end accounting close process for multiple nonprofit clients.
- Prepare client financial statements including Statements of Activities, Financial Position and Cash Flows, and dashboards along with complete financial reporting package as tailored for each client.
- Perform monthly reconciliations of the general ledger accounts.
- Perform monthly bank and investment account reconciliations.
- Prepare monthly accrual journal entries.
- Maintain all balance sheet account schedules on a monthly basis. Reconcile the schedules to the general ledger on a monthly basis.
- Prepare grant related billings to State, County, City, Federal agencies with all supporting documentation to be filed with the billing invoice in accordance with Federal OMB A-133 requirements.
- Process accounts payable invoices by verifying that proper approvals have been obtained and that appropriate supporting documentation is attached.
- Process checks, stop payments and voids as required.
- Prepare full-cycle bi-weekly payroll for two or more non-profit organizations.
- Responsible for administering clients payroll system as necessary to include payroll processing, employee deductions and changes and all accounting related entries for benefits and with-holdings.
- Respond to client inquiries timely.
- Process accounting information in accordance with internal control processes.
- Assist in preparation of the annual operating budget and financial analysis for the Executive Director(s), and program staff including feasibility studies, grant related reports and other requests, as needed.
- Analyze actual to budget variances on a monthly basis and assist in resolving and / or explaining the variances as well as variance analysis on individual accounts.
- Keep the Chief Financial Officer, Controller, and/or Accounting Manager informed on the status of the financial condition and other operations of the clients.
- Support annual audits
- Bachelor degree in Accounting.
- Minimum two years of general ledger accounting experience.
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles.
- Ability to effectively communicate both orally and in writing with Executive Directors, program managers and/or supervisors, as well other client related staff members.
- Analytical skills required in order to assist in the development and maintenance of the accounting, finance, and payroll related tasks.
- In-depth knowledge of general ledger accounting.
- Ability to use personal computers, spreadsheet and word processing software; knowledge of Microsoft Excel and Word. Ability to learn accounting software and various payroll platforms.
- Local travel may be required.
- Car available with current auto insurance and valid California drivers license.
- Employment background screening required.
Job Type: Full-time
- Accounting: 2 years (Preferred)
- San Jose, CA 95118 (Preferred)