Who is eHealth Saskatchewan?
eHealth Saskatchewan is a Treasury Board Crown Corporation with the mandate to coordinate Saskatchewan Electronic Health Record (EHR) planning, implementation and strategy for the Province of Saskatchewan. We have worked with our healthcare partners to automate the collection, storage and distribution of the vast majority of patient healthcare information in areas such as labs, pharmacies, radiology, surgery, emergency rooms, hospitals. We also work in partnership with the Saskatchewan Medical Association to implement Electronic Medical Records in physician clinics. Our vision is “Empowering patients, enabling care” with a mission to get the electronic information into the hands of patients and their healthcare team. This would electronically connect the different streams of healthcare so patient information flows between healthcare providers and the patient.
The role of an Infrastructure Architect at eHealth
The technology in the healthcare environment has quickly evolved from being heavily paper laden to a highly integrated, technologically enabled space. This has created a great deal of change in healthcare, with some areas still relying upon the old paper-and-fax system, while others have quickly adapted to a mobile platform with patient medical information readily available electronically to healthcare providers right at their fingertips.
We are looking for an Infrastructure Architect - Network who would thrive in a complex environment and will be charged with managing and leading the network design of our corporate applications, provincial applications and information management systems, with a lens on making a positive impact to patient care, reduction of costs, and mitigation of IT risks and patient safety. This is a highly visible, busy, and challenging role that will be reporting to the Director of IT Architecture.
There are three primary areas of focus in this role:
- The first area of focus is to provide an overall network focused architectural strategy and roadmap for the organization and partner health regions, taking into account system complexity and prioritization of business requirements. This focus will include network technologies in the Data Center, LAN / MAN / WAN / VPN / Wireless and VOIP / FOIP areas.
- The second area of focus is to act as a consultant and provide advice to internal and external clients on project costs, design concepts, or design changes, and mitigate corporate risk through evaluation and verification of stability, interoperability, portability, security, or scalability of system architecture.
- The third area of focus will be to continuously evaluate current or emerging technologies to consider factors such as cost, portability, compatibility, or usability.
We are looking for someone with an exceptional ability to communicate, effectively wade through political situations if and when they arise, and take on big bold organizational challenges. It is an expectation that you will also embrace our management philosophy of Lean Continuous Improvement and be actively involved in the use of the lean methodology within the organization and with our health partners/customers.
Strategy and Planning
- Assist in leading projects from a technical, network focused viewpoint by providing solution analysis, planning, and design
- Design, test and inspect data communication systems
- Develop & maintain network based technology roadmaps and guide their implementation
- Meet with decision makers, systems owners, and end users to assist in defining business requirements and the associated network impacts
- Conduct research on emerging technologies in support of solution development efforts, and recommend technologies that will increase cost effectiveness and systems flexibility.
- Ensure compatibility and interoperability of in-house computing systems
- Review and analyze the effectiveness and efficiency of existing systems and develop strategies for improving or further leveraging these systems
- Manage network technology vendors
- Set the design and implementation of operational network standards
- Develop test plans, implementation plans and project timelines for various projects
- Provide architectural expertise, direction, and assistance to other Solution Architects, Software Developers and IT Operations within the wider Information Technology Team
Integration and Deployment
- Assure completeness of infrastructure plans of new applications and enhancements to existing applications
- Conduct research on infrastructure/network products and tools to justify recommendations and to support purchasing efforts when selected as part of proposed technical solutions.
- Document eHealth Saskatchewan’s existing business systems architecture and technology portfolio, from a network perspective; then make recommendations for improvements and/or alternatives
- Provide coaching and mentorship of a team of network engineers
- Create IT Solution proposals
- Perform cost-benefit and return on investment analyses for proposed solutions to aid management in making implementation decisions
- Coordinate and perform in-depth tests, including end-user reviews and systems technical performance reviews, for modified and new systems. Report on findings and make recommendations for improvement
- Provide orientation and training to end users for all modified and new systems
- Develop, document, communicate, and enforce a policy for standardizing network systems as necessary
Desired Qualifications & Competencies (Skills/Qualifications/Experience)
Typically, the knowledge and skills required for this position would be attained through the completion of a degree in computer science or a related discipline, supplemented by several years of increasing responsibility within a complex, integrated technical environment.
Formal Education & Certification
- Several years of related work experience
- Industry Certification in Cisco based network technology
- TOGAF or other Enterprise Architecture certification is an advantage
If you feel like you would be a strong fit for this position we encourage you to apply.
We are committed to workplace diversity.