eHealth Saskatchewan is a Treasury Board Crown Corporation with a unique blend of healthcare and IT services. Our vision is to empower patients and enable care, with a mission to make patient information available electronically to patients and their healthcare team. It is a complex environment, constantly evolving and quickly changing. A large and complex organization, we currently house more than 92 million lab results, 130 million prescriptions, and 500 million digital Diagnostic Images for a provincial population of one million citizens. All of this information is securely protected, delivered, and readily available to healthcare providers through a vast array of platforms and exchange tools within physician offices, acute care centers, pharmacies, and labs throughout our province. The health system in Saskatchewan has enormous data assets that can be used to improve patients’ lives.
The Data Scientist Role
To succeed in this role requires curiosity, creativity, adaptability, logical thinking, communication and teamwork. You will need to provide simple and easy-to-use solutions to complex problems. You will have a passion for data and the desire to positively impact people’s lives in Saskatchewan. eHealth Saskatchewan provides services to other health system partners in order to fulfill their data and information needs. You will need to be able to co-create solutions with our partners to achieve the desired results.
The successful candidate will possess deep technical knowledge of data and analytics concepts, theories, and the ability to implement those concepts and theories. You will be able to use the available data to understand a situation and look for ways to improve the outcomes.
Typically, the knowledge and skills required for this position would be attained through the completion of a degree in computer science, engineering, information technology, mathematics, statistics or a related quantitative discipline. An equivalent level of experience may also be considered.
Specifically, you will have demonstrated advanced knowledge of:
- Data modeling and different data structures
- Requirements analysis and solution design techniques
- Analytical tools and software (R, Python, SAS, etc)
- Statistical modeling
- Reporting, dashboarding and data storytelling
You will have the ability to
- Work independently and participate as a team member to meet the needs of customers, partners and co-workers
- To build positive work relationships
- Gather, understand, and synthesize specialized information in a way that can be applied to identify and meet the needs of the organization using a variety of programming languages
- Extract, recall, synthesize, conceptualize, and apply ideas, processes, and information to create new solutions
- Use information analysis techniques including trend analysis, calculation of rates and proportions, and other statistical procedures
- Orally present or explain technical and health information to a wide variety of technical and non-technical individuals in a clear, accurate and understandable manner
- Write a variety of detailed, accurate and clear material in a variety of formats at a level appropriate to the target groups;
- Contribute effectively to the development of systems by using your knowledge and experience on handling data and information requirements and your strong analytical skills
- Independently prioritize and organize your own workload to meet tight deadlines and successfully complete projects in a changing environment
You will be:
- A team player focused on collective success
- Self-motivated, creative, client-oriented, responsible
- Thorough, disciplined, organized, and strong attention to detail
- Creative, logical, and flexible
Knowledge of health and the healthcare system is an asset.
We are committed to workplace diversity.