Eglinton St. George’s United Church (ESG) is living out its goals of Extravagant Welcome, Leadership and Growth. We are excited to add someone to our team who will help us achieve these goals.
We need your flexibility, energy and skills to build and strengthen relationships with our ESG members and the broader community.
The Community Engagement Associate is responsible for four key pieces of work.
- Community Engagement - building connections with newcomers and making follow-up connections so they will return to ESG and become part of our church community
- Project Flourish Coordination - working with our Next Generation and Growth Minister as we endeavour to attract more young people and families to ESG as part of our Project Flourish initiative
- Hospitality & Welcome – developing ways for ESG to become more welcoming and offer hospitality (Extravagant Welcome) to all
- Event Planning - ensuring that event plans and delivery are organized alongside our dedicated volunteers
We are a thriving North Toronto United Church congregation in the process of executing a new initiative called “Project Flourish” whose aim is to attract and engage new people to ESG. Our mission is to make a positive difference in the lives of more people and provide an exciting community that enhances quality of life and spiritual well-being. ESG wants to engage in new and creative ways that attract people in our local community and show them that “church” is a place where they can meet like-minded people, explore the big questions in life and make a difference in the world.
Our Statement of Community:
All persons are welcome to take part in every aspect of church life including membership, leadership, celebrating life passages and marriage, regardless of age, gender, race, sexual orientation, gender identity, differing abilities, ethnic background, or economic circumstance.
Please find out more about who we are at http://esgunited.org/
Position reports to the Lead Minister.
Works closely with the Next Generation and Growth Minister to coordinate events / programs related to Project Flourish.
Terms of Employment
- This is a part time position as a contract employee.
- This role is based on working September to June of each year, a 42 week period. Your employment will terminate on June 30, 2022, subject to being extended on renegotiated terms.
- You will work 17 hours a week (days negotiated on hiring and as needed) which must include 3 hours on Sunday mornings to support our Welcoming and Hospitality initiatives.
- In addition, you will work up to an additional 318 hours during the year assisting with special events, some of which will be evening and weekend time supporting program needs. This includes up to 75 hours to assist with each of ESG’s semi-annual Rummage Sales, held in October and April.
- Time sheets will be submitted for additional hours worked
- Compensation, which will be commensurate with experience, is expected to be in the range of $20 to $22 per hour or $20,640.00 - $22,704.00.
- A full benefits package is also provided through the United Church of Canada.
- Paid vacation of two weekdays and two Sundays off in the 42 week period is provided.
- Connecting with ESG members, newcomers and the broader neighbourhood to identify opportunities for people to more deeply engage with ESG
- Assist in finding volunteers to help with a range of programs and events, sometimes working with our Volunteer Committees as ESG’s staff liaison
- Maintaining a database of contact information of people who are newcomers to ESG’s programs or worship services and determining best how to make effective follow-up connections
Project Flourish Support and Coordination
- Be an active member of our exciting Project Flourish initiative and team
- Coordinate Project Flourish activities – meetings/agenda/reports to keep team, ministers and church governing bodies current with plans/activities/results
- Develop strategic proposals for funding project grants and Project Flourish initiatives
- Assist with Project Flourish project internal communication
- Support the execution of new external marketing efforts
- Be one of the first connections as people arrive at ESG programs and events, easing their arrival and facilitating connections amongst those gathered at ESG events
- Be a resource for people in the building offering information, directions, coffee or whatever may arise
Event Planning: ensuring that event planning and delivery are flawless
- Staff support to two Rummage Sales each year, as required
- Coordinate -tables, food, setup, decorate, sound & musician
- Work with the Church Administrator for space use
- Provide Extravagant Welcome to attendees
- Build volunteer connections with volunteers
- Manage event accounting
Skills, Knowledge and Energies
- Flexible, outgoing, comfortable with all ages and stages of people, easy conversationalist with friends and strangers alike
- Knowledge of how best to influence and engage with people in a volunteer, member-based environment
- Experience with Volunteer Management
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills – digital, verbal and written
- High level of emotional intelligence with an ability to relate to a broad range of people
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Is collaborative and works best in a team environment, enjoys dealing directly with people
- Is flexible and excited to be working in a traditional organization that is creating, changing, growing and excited
- Likes to assist an organization to reach its fullest potential
- Understands the nature of a Not-For-Profit organization including accessing grants
Knowledge of and comfort with the spiritual, intergenerational and cultural dimensions of life would be advantageous.
Sample event list requiring your support
Welcome and Coffee
Church Welcome Back Picnic (September)
Blessing of the Animals Service (September)
Compassionate Justice (4 per year)
Concert Series (4 per year)
Dinner Church (5 per year)
Flourishing Voices (March weekend event)
Rummage Sale (if requested)
Youth “GO your own way” events
Spaghetti dinner (May)
Carolling event (end of November)
Golf Day (June)
Seniors’ Lunches (2 per year)
Out of the Cold (5 Saturday evenings per year)
Advent Gifts (first week of December)
Deadline for receipt of applications is Thursday, April 11, 2019 . We thank all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.