Efficient Energy Compliance (EEC) is a full-service energy consulting firm providing energy efficiency, energy modeling, energy management and local law compliance solutions for buildings in the commercial and multifamily residential sectors. We are seeking a Junior Energy Engineer to join our Manhattan, NY office to fill an open entry level position.
The Junior Energy Engineer will work under the direct supervision of existing energy engineers on staff and be responsible for assisting with and or completing energy audits, including data collection, utility analysis, energy calculations and cost estimates. They will also assist with projects such as energy modeling, CHP analysis, renewable energy applications (solar PV, battery storage, geothermal), commissioning, retro-commissioning, incentive program applications as well as measurement and verification. Candidates should have a strong passion for the fields of HVAC, building systems, energy efficiency, green building and sustainability. There is tremendous potential for growth and advancement. Candidates seeking future certification as a Professional Engineer, Certified Energy Auditor (CEA), Certified Energy Manager (CEM), Existing Building Commissioning Professional (EBCP) or Certified Building Commissioning Professional (CBCP) is preferred.
- Perform ASHRAE Level I, II, and III Energy audits of commercial, institutional and mutli-family residential facilities.
- Perform measurement and verification tasks using data logging tools (HOBO loggers, air/ water flow meters, electrical meters).
- Assist with building commissioning/retro-commissioning tasks; create OPR, commissioning plans, pre-functional checklists, functional checklists, O&M plans, M&V plans and final reports.
- Write technical energy reports.
- Complete spreadsheet (Excel) based energy savings calculations; create calculations as needed for custom measures.
- Represent EEC at client meetings.
- Complete field work as required.
- Allocate billable time to projects.
- Other related duties, as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering, or closely related bachelor's degree such as Engineering, Architecture, Planning, Environmental Science, Natural Resource Management, or related field is
- Mechanical engineering or energy engineering related professional work experience required.
- Must have an understanding of building automation systems, steam, hot water, chilled water, and HVAC systems and components.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills required.
- Excellent computer skills required including proficiency in Microsoft Excel and a Computer Assisted Drafting Program such as AutoCad, BIM, REVIT, SketchUp or SolidWorks
- Good interpersonal and leadership skills required.
- Must have strong ability to practically apply engineering knowledge.
- Must have strong ability to work and/or lead in a team environment.
- Must be able to walk throughout large facilities that may require PPE such as steel toe shoes, hardhat, eye and ear protection.
- Must be able to climb ladders and stairs to access roof or other locations.
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs.
- Must have reliable transportation.
- Travel within New York City can be expected consistently.
Extra Consideration for Advanced Skills
- Prior completion of the Fundamentals of Engineering Exam (FE) and certification as an Engineer in Training (EIT)
- Prior mechanical or energy engineering experience
- Prior mechanical design experience through professional work, and/or internship experience
- Professional experience with HVAC, steam, hot water, chilled water, and compressed air systems
- Experience with renewable energy projects (PV, CHP, battery storage, distributed generation, microgrids, biomass)
- Prior Commissioning experience
- Proficient in building energy modeling software such as Trane Trace, eQuest of EnergyPlus
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Job Type: Full-time
- Engineering: 1 year (Preferred)